Author : Mr. Nagaraj Bhat 1
Date of Publication :8th June 2017
Abstract: At present, energy problems are being encountered all around the world, which is creating several countries to scrutinize new energy sources. Such recent sources are known as alternative energy or renewable energy. Among alternative fuels for dieselengine application, biodiesel is very attractive because it is biodegradable, sustainable source, an environmentally-friendly and reduces green house gas emissions that can meet future energy demands. Researchers have always tried to develop internal combustion engine using biodiesel performing performance as well as characteristics of emission were carried out so far. There are, obviously, few uncertainties concerning its usage. The major significant doubt is use of B100 pure biodiesel fuel whether it is creates diesel engine problems or not. The current paper describes a experimental study of the effects of pure biodiesel(B100) usage on the fuel pump components and three types of fuel injectors by using of energy dispersive X-ray(EDX) and scanning electron microscopy(SEM) investigation of single cylinder diesel engine, which is redesigned into a supercharged diesel engine in this work, a single cylinder, four stroke engine, of Kirloskar make TV1 modified into a supercharged engine. A study of fuel injector fouling and crank case lubricating oil properties are measured. Also performance parameter brake thermal efficiency(BTE) is calculated. The results from performance are compared between diesel and B100 fuel combinations under different operating conditions. The maximum Brake Thermal efficiency is observed for Supercharged gauge pressure 1.5 bar at full load than that of naturally aspirated condition.
- Anh N. Phan and Tan M. Phan, “Biodiesel production from waste cooking oils”, Elsevier, 2008, pp. 3490-3496.
- Mohammed Abdul Raqeeb and Bhargavi R., “Biodiesel production from waste cooking oil”, JCPR, 2015, pp. 670-681.
- Dheeraj Joshi, P.V. Viswanath and B. Sandeep, “The Effects of Supercharging on the Performance of C.I Engine Using Blends of Pre-Heated Cotton Seed Oil and Diesel as Alternate Fuel”, ICARMMIEM, 2014, pp. 110- 113.
- S. Hassan, Z.A. Zainal, S. Aizat and M.A.Miskam, “The Effects of Supercharging on the Performance and Exhaust Gas Emissions of a Dual-Fuel Engine Fuelled with Producer Gas-Diesel and Palm Oil Blends”, Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research , 2011, pp. 162-169.
- Donepudi Jagadish , Puli Ravi Kumar, and K. Madhu Murthy, “The Effect of Supercharging on Performance and Emission Characteristics of Compression Ignition Engine with Diesel-Ethanol-Ester Blends”, thermal science, 2011, pp. 1165-1174.
- Celik and O. Aydin, “Effects of B100 Biodiesel on Injector and Pump Piston”, Taylor & Francis, 2014, pp. 424-431.
- A.M. Liaquat, H.H. Masjuki, M.A. Kalam and I.M. Rizwanul Fattah “Impact of biodiesel blend on injector deposit formation”, Elsevier, 2014, pp. 813-823
- Nicolae Burnete, Dan Moldovanu and Doru Baldean, “Studies and Researches Regarding the Influence of Lubricating Oil Temperature on Diesel Engines”, Elsevier, 2001, pp. 269-277.
- Dario A. Constantine, Yuanyuan Wang and Elon J. Terrell, “The effects of biodiesel usage on the components of an engine”, Springer, 2013, pp. 279–285.