Author : Sana Malik 1
Date of Publication :9th June 2017
Abstract: Cities under the influence of urbanization around the globe have experienced new shifts in urban policies and development. The paper discusses the transformation of Asian megacities through urbanization and the response of cities towards this paradigm of urbanization in terms of infrastructure policies and urban planning. The study is broadly divided into two sections. The first section is about urbanism and its connection with smooth working of cities. The second section is structured on impacts of urbanization with particular focus on how the urbanization is transforming the urban form Asian cities. This pattern of urban development being rapidly implied at more than one place at a time around the globe, demands for comparison of regional policies to effectively deal with impacts of urbanization for the sustainable growth of cities.
- UNHABITAT AND UNESCAP, "Urbanization: The role the poor play in urban development," 2008.
- G. Hugo, "Urbanization in Asia: An Overview," in Conference on African Migration in Comparative Pespective, Johannesburg, 2003.
- W.G. Jones, “Southeast Asian Urbanization and the Growth of Mega-Urban Regions”.Journal of Population Research, 19, 2, 119-136.2002
- P. Neal, "An Urban Village Primer," in Urban Villages and the Making of Communities, London, New York, Spon Press, 2003, pp. 1-15.
- J. Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities, New York: Vintage Books, 1961
- M. Jenks, "Above and below the line: Globalization and urban form in Bangkok," in Globalization and Urban Development, New York, Springer, 2005, pp. 311-320
- .J. Okata and A. Murayama, "Tokyo‟s Urban Growth, Urban Form and Sustainability," in Megacities - Urban Form, Governance, and Sustainability, Japan, Springer, 2011, pp. 15-41.
- A. Sorensen, "Building world city Tokyo: Globalization and conflict over urban space," in Globalization and Urban Development, New York, Springer, 2005, pp. 226-237.
- A. Sorensen, The making of urban Japan: Cities and planning from edo to the 21st century, London: Routledge, 2002
- R. B. Bhagat and K. Sita, "Population Change and Economic Restructuring in Mumbai," Writings on the city of Mumbai, pp. 228-237, 2009.