Author : Rakesh E N 1
Date of Publication :18th April 2017
Abstract: : In modern multi-storey buildings stiffness irregularities are usually found within the building which may be due to the occupancy and architectural appearance. Such irregularities in elevation can lead to buildings with soft stories. Soft story refers to the existence of a building floor that presents a significantly lower stiffness than the others. As per IS1893 (part 1) – 2002, in a soft storey lateral stiffness of the storey is less than 70% of the above storey or less than 80% of the average lateral stiffness of the above three stories. Usually open soft storey is provided at ground level to accommodate parking, reception lobbies etc. also, the soft storey may be constructed at the intermediate level for the purpose such as offices, function halls, supermarkets etc. Such soft storey configuration may lead to serious earthquake damage. To experience minimum damage and less psychological fear in the minds of people during the earthquake, IS1893 (part1):2002, permits maximum inter-storey drift as 0.004 times the storey height. Inter storey drift always depends upon the stiffness of the respective storey. To understand the behavior of p delta effects different types of 20 storey building is modeled using ETABS software and subjected to earthquake loading. Building parameters are varied by introducing shear wall, exterior walls, bracing system and further parameters such as inter-storey drift, roof displacement and column moments are computed and variations in these parameters are discussed and it is observed that building with open soft storey has the least capacity to resist failure during earthquake.
- Bryan Stafford Smith and Regina Gaiotti (1989- April).P-Δ Analysis of Building Structures, American Society of Civil Engineers, Journal of structural division, No4, vol,-115
- Prashant Dhadve, Alok Rao, Atul Rupanvar and Deokate K.,( 2015- May). Assesment of P-Δ effect on high rise buildings. International Journal on Research and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication, 3(5), 3231-3236.
- Yusuf Dinar and Saminul Karim,(2013- November)P-Δ effect in reinforced concrete structure of rigid joint. IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, 10, 42-49.
- Mallikarjuna B.N, Ranjith,( August 2014) ―Stability Analysis of Steel Frame St ructures: P-Delta Analysis, International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. Volume 03, Issue 08.
- Rafae l Shehu,( February 2014). ―The P-Δ-Ductility Effect: Overview the Effect of the Second Order in the Ductile Structures‖, European Scientific Journal, Volume 3.
- MacRae, G. A. (1994).‘‘P-Delta effects on single-degreeof-freedom structures in earthquakes.’’ Earthquake Spectra, 10(3)
- Prof.C.G.Konapure, Mr.P.V.Dhanshetti,(January 2014)―Effect of P-Delta Action on Multi-Storey Buildings‖, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, Volume 4, Issue 1,.