Author : Ugrasen G 1
Date of Publication :25th April 2017
Abstract: Wire Electrical Discharge Machining (WEDM) is a specialized thermo electrical machining process capable of accurately machining parts with varying hardness or complex shapes. Present study outlines the estimation of machining performances in the wire electric discharge machining of HCHCr material using Multiple Regression Analysis (MRA) and Group Method of Data Handling (GMDH) technique. HCHCr material was machined using different process parameters based on Taguchi’s L27 standard orthogonal array. Parameters such as pulse-on time, pulse-off time, current and bed speed were varied. The response variables measured for the analysis are dimensional error, surface roughness and volumetric material removal rate. Machining performances have been compared using sophisticated mathematical models viz., MRA and GMDH. Different GMDH models can be obtained by varying the percentage of data in the training set and the best model can be selected from these, viz., 50%, 62.5% & 75%. The best model is selected from the said percentages of data. Three different criterion functions, viz., Root Mean Square (Regularity or RMS) criterion, Unbiased criterion and Combined criterion were considered for estimation. Estimation and comparison of machining performances were carried out using MRA and GMDH techniques. Estimates from MRA and GMDH were compared and it was observed that GMDH gives better results than MRA.
- Rajarshi Mukherjee, Shankar Chakraborty and Suman Samanta, “Selection of wire electrical discharge machining process parameters using non-traditional optimization algorithms”, Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 12, pp. 2506–2516, 2012.
- Norfadzlan Yusup, Azlan Mohd Zain and Siti Zaiton Mohd Hashim, “Evolutionary techniques in optimizing machining parameters: Review and recent applications (2007-2011)”, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 39, pp. 9909-9927, 2012.
- Fengguo Cao and Qinjian Zhang, “Neural network modelling and parameters optimization of increased explosive electrical discharge grinding (IEEDG) process for large area polycrystalline diamond”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 149, pp. 106–111, 2004
- Ulaş Çaydaş, Ahmet Hasçalık and Sami Ekici, “An adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system (ANFIS) model for wire-EDM”, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 36, pp. 6135–6139, 2009
- P.J. Hou, Y.F. Guo, L.X. Sun and G.Q. Deng, “Simulation of temperature and thermal stress filed during reciprocating traveling WEDM of insulating ceramics”, Procedia, CIRP, Vol. 6, pp. 411–416, 2013.
- S. Sivasankar and R Jeyapaul, “Application of grey entropy and regression analysis for modelling and prediction on tool materials performance during EDM of hot pressed ZrB2 at different duty cycles”, Procedia Engineering, Vol. 38, pp. 3977–3991, 2012.
- E. Weingärtner, F. Kuster and K. Wegener, “Modeling and simulation of electrical discharge machining”, Procedia CIRP, Vol. 2, pp. 74–78, 2012.