Author : Abijeth kc 1
Date of Publication :24th May 2017
Abstract: Hole serves various purposes in all machine elements. These holes may be round, square, rectangular or any other shape depending on the requirement or design. This paper discusses the mechanical design and simulation of a square hole producing tool based on Reuleaux Triangle. The main aim of this paper is to investigate how a circular motion can be converted into a square motion by purely a mechanical linkage; an application of which is to construct a special tool that drills exact square holes. A geometrical construction that fulfils the laid objective is Reuleaux Triangle. Additionally, for this geometry to work from a rotating drive (such as a drill press) one must force the Reuleaux triangle to rotate inside a square, and that requires a square template to constrain the Reuleaux triangle as well as a special coupling to address the fact that the centre of rotation also moves. The practical importance of this enhancement is that the driving end can be placed in a standard drill press; the other end is restricted to stay inside the fixed square, will yield a perfectly square locus and this can be turned into a working square-to drill hole.
- Watts Brothers Tool Works (1996).review article on“How to Drill Square, Hexagon, Octagon, Pentagon Holes” Wilmerding, Penn
- Scott G Smith (1998) review on “Drilling square hole-The mathematics teacher” vol 86,no 7 ,pp 579-584
- Bangar Sunil Kisan and Prof.MythiliSreeram (2014)review on “Modification of square hole drilling”, IJFEAT journal-ISSN: 2321-8134 , pp 4 -7
- S K Hajra Choudhury , A K Hajra Choudhury and Niranjana Roy(2010) review on “Drilling machines‟-Elements of workshop Technology vol 2,pp 227-255 . Weisstien,EW.,Reuleauxtriangle,Mathworld, mathworld.wolfram.com/reuleaux triangle.html
- H. G. Eggleston.,1952. A proof of Blaschke‟s theorem on the Reuleaux Triangle, Quart. J. Math. 3 296-297.
- John Thomas et al. Int. Journal of Engineering Research and ApplicationISSN : 2248-9622, Vol. 6, Issue 11, ( Part -1) November 2016, pp.75-79