Author : Durai.J 1
Date of Publication :17th May 2017
Abstract: With increasing demands for miniaturized products there are a lot of developments in the micro manufacturing methods for the fabrication of the threedimensional micro shapes made up of different materials. Micro ultrasonic machining is a promising technique for the fabrication of micro shapes on the hard, brittle and nonconductive materials like glass, ceramics and silicon with high aspect ratio. Due to its non- thermal ,non-electrical and non-chemical nature this process does not changes much the physical, chemical or the metallurgical properties of the materials .But the main concern in this process is the difficulty in handling the micro tool due to dynamic nature of the system and hence the accuracy of the set up. This paper discusses the potentialities and limitations as well various developments in micro ultrasonic machining method.
- T. Masuzawa, ―State of the art of micromachining,‖ CIRP Annals—Manufacturing Technology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 473–488, 2000.
- K. Egashira, T. Masuzawa, M. Fujino, and X. Q. Sun, ―Application of USM to micromachining by on-themachine tool fabrication,‖ International Journal of Electrical Machining, no. 2, pp. 31–36, 1997.
- K. Egashira and T. Masuzawa, ―Micro ultrasonic machining by the application of workpiece vibration,‖ CIRP Annals—Manufacturing Technology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 131–134, 1999.
- X. Q. Sun, T. Masuzawa, and M. Fujino, ―Micro ultrasonic machining and its applications in MEMS,‖ Sensors and Actuators, A, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 159–164, 1996.
- K. Egashira, K. Mizutani, and T. Nagao, ―Ultrasonic vibration drilling of microholes in glass,‖ CIRP Annals— Manufacturing Technology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 339–342, 2002.
- IC. Zhang, R. Rentsch, and E. Brinksmeier, ―Advances in micro ultrasonic assisted lapping of microstructures in hard-brittle materials: a brief review and outlook,‖ International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 45, no. 7-8, pp. 881–890, 2005.
- S. Koshimizu and I. Iansaki, ―Hybrid machining of hard and brittle materials,‖ Journal of Mechanical Working Technology, vol. 17, pp. 333–341, 1988
- Yu, Z. Y., Rajurkar, K. P., Tandon, A, ―Study of 3D Micro-Ultrasonic Machining‖, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 126/4: 727- 732,2004