Author : Shivakumar S Y 1
Date of Publication :16th May 2017
Abstract: Recently giant magnetostriction materials have drawn a lot of attentions because of their unique features like outstanding magnetostriction, high energy density, high Curie temperature and quick response compared to PZT materials. Actuators using magnetostrictive materials show great potential due to their high forces and short reaction times for applications on heavy and stiff structures such as in aeronautics, civil structures and machine tools. In this paper the design of magnetostrictive actuator with suitable number of coil turns and as well as layout of actuator has been discussed. The attempt is being done to give systematic design procedure focusing on electric, magnetic, thermal and mechanical aspects.The analytical expressions such as equivalent magnetic circuit equation ,flux,magnetic field intensity,shape factor of coils,peak to peak expression for magnetic field intensity and as well as for driving current,number of coil turns and different losses in a actuator for the optimal usage of magnetostrictive materials in the applications of actuator has been outlined.The relevance of the leakage inductance of the actuator and the choice of feeding amplifiers affecting the dimensioning actuator drive coils are illustrated
- Aston, M.G., Greenough, R.D., Jenner, A.G.I., Metheringham, W.J. and Prajapati, K. (1997). “Controlled high power actuation utilizing Terfenol-D.”Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 258, 97-100.
- Brauer, J. (2006).“Magnetic Actuators and Sensors.” Milwaukee School of Engineering, 1-301.
- Chen, P., Lu, Q., Chen, D. and Chen, K. (2011). “The design of giant magnetostrictive flow valve and its COMSOL simulation.”Journal of Key Engineering Materials,160-162, 1146-1150.
- Dehui, L., Quanguo, L. and Yuyun, Z. (2008). “Magnetic circuit optimization design of Giant magnetostrictiveactuator.”IEEE, 688-692.
- Dhilsha, K. R., Markandeyulu, G., SubrahmanyeswaraRao, B.V.P. and RamaRao, K.V.S. (1997). “Design and fabrication of low frequency giant magnetostrictive transducer.”Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 258, 53-55.
- Ekreem,N.B.,Olabi, A.G., Prescott, T., Rafferty, A. and Hashmi, M.S.J. (2007). “An overview of magnetostriction, its uses and methods to measure these properties.”Journal of Materials Processing Technology,191,96-101.
- Engdahl, G. (2002). “Design procedure for optimal use of giant magnetostrictive material in magnetostrictive actuator applications.”Actuator 2002, 8 th International Conference on New actuator, Bremen, Germany, 554-557.
- Engdahl, G. (2000).“Handbook of Giant Magnetostricitve materials.” Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden,1-373.