Author : Yashas S 1
Date of Publication :14th May 2017
Abstract: This project study discusses the combustor liner metal temperature prediction methodology for aero gas turbine. All modes of heat transfer for thermal analysis is considered. Radiation due to combustion gas, conduction due to presence of low conductivity thermal barrier coating and the liner and convection due to combustion gas and cooling air are estimation. Combustor liner metal temperature is an important input for determining the creep life.The objective of the present study is thermal analysis of combustor liner to estimate the metal temperature distribution for a given cooling configuration. Heat loads coming on the liner is calculated to carry out Finite Element analysis using commercial software ANSYS. The geometrical model is generated and meshing is done with suitable elements for thermal analysis. The analysis is carried out for different design steady state conditions to evaluate the maximum metal temperature. 1D analysis is carried for the convective and radiative fluxes from energy balance and 1D metal temperature is estimated. Parametric analysis is carried out to study the effect liner metal temperature with different aerodynamic and geometric parameters like gas temperature, thermal barrier coating thickness, coating conductivity, and combustion gas pressure. It was observed that with increase of thermal barrier coating thickness the liner metal temperature was decreased as the conductive flux was reduced. Emissivity of gas increased with the increase of gas pressure, gas temperature and increase of air/fuel ratio. Increase of gas emissivity increases the liner metal temperature.
- T. Norgren and S. M. Riddlebaugh, “Advanced LinerCooling Techniques for Gas Turbine Combustors”, AIAA/SAE/ASME/ASEE 21st Joint Propulsion Conference July 8-10, 1985, Monterey California
- S. Matarazzo and H. Laget, “Modelling of the heat transfer in a gas turbine liner combustor”, Chia Laguna, Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy, September 11-15, 2011.
- Arthur H. Lefebvre, “GAS TURBINE COMBUSTION “(second edition).
- William Wiberg, “Heat Transfer in Gas Turbine Combustors”, Project Report 2012 MVK160 Heat and Mass Transport, May 7, 2012, Lund, Sweden.
- E. Ufot, B. T. Lebele-Alawa and K.D.H. Bob-Manuel, “Influence of convection heat transfer coefficient on heat transfers and wall temperatures of gas-turbine combustors”, International Journal of Applied Science and Technology Vol.1 No. 6; November 2011.
- G Manoj Kumar and J Bruce Ralphin Rose, “Numerical comparative study on convective heat transfer coefficient in a combustor liner of gas turbine with coating”, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Research, ISSN 0973-4562 Vol. 5 No.1 (2015).
- M. C. Paul and W. P. Jones, “Radiative heat transfer in a model gas turbine combustor”, ISSN 1743-3533, WIT Transactions on Engineering Sciences, Vol 53, 2006 WIT Press.
- Bui Van Ga, Le Van Tuy and Huynh Ba Vang, “Experimental study of radiation heat transfer coefficient of diffusion flames”, Vietnam Journal of Mechanics, VAST, Vol. 29, No. 1 (2007), pp. 98 – 104.