Author : Kirtan Aryal 1
Date of Publication :8th March 2017
Abstract: Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition is the mode of engine which will provide the advantages of both the SI and CI engine and consider as an alternative to the gasoline and diesel engine due to its capability of very low NOX emissions and operating with higher efficiency. The HCCI concept involves pre-mixing of charge prior to its induction as in present Spark Ignition (SI) engine, then ignite the air fuel mixture through the compression as in Compression Ignition (CI) engine and has no throt tle loss, which leads to high efficiency. HCCI engine can operate on gasoline, diesel and most of the alternatives fuels. In HCCI, the combustion occurs simultaneously throughout the cylinder volume, as opposed to the turbulent flame propagation or mixing controlled combustion used in conventional engines. Instead of having advantages there are some challenges to the operation of the HCCI Engine. The main limitation of HCCI is the narrow operating window which results from the lack of direct ignition timing control. This paper reviews the technology involved in HCCI engine development, its advantages and disadvantages. The challenges involved in HCCI and the future developments in the same are also discussed in the paper.
- M. Celebi, “Design of Seismic Isolated Structures: From Theory to Practice,” Earthq. Spectra, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 709–710, 2000.
- H. Monfared, A. Shirvani, S. Nwaubani, and B. H. Lane, “An investigation into the seismic base isolation from practical perspective,” J. Civ. Eng. Struct. Eng., vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 451–463, 2013.
- G. Mondal and S. K. Jain, “Design of nonstructural elements for buildings: A review of codal provisions,” Indian Concr. J., vol. 79, no. 8, pp. 22–28, 2005.
- R. S. Jangid, “Optimum lead – rubber isolation bearings for near-fault motions,” 1995.
- P. D. Thesis, “Optimum design of base isolated RC structures,” no. October, 2011.
- L. M. Megget, “RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE D E S I G N AND ISOLATED CONSTRUCTION,” no. 2, 1979.
- X. K. Zou and C. M. Chan, “Integrated time history analysis and performance-based design optimization of base-isolated concrete buildings,” Proc. 13th World Conf. Earthq. Eng., no. 1314, p. 1314, 2004.
- A. Baratta and I. Corbi, “Optimal design of baseisolators in multi-storey buildings,” Comput. Struct., vol. 82, no. 23–26, pp. 2199–2209, 2004.
- Gowthaman S, Sathiyagnanam A.P, “ A review of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine”, International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, Vol.6,Issue 1, January-2015.
- P.Venkataramana, “ Homogeneous Charge Comprseeion Ignition (HCCI) Engine”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), Vol.2 Issue 2, February-2013
- Christensen M and Johansson B (2000), “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) with Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Pilot Fuel”, SAE Paper 2000- 01-1835
- Iida, N., "Alternative Fuels and Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Combustion Technology," SAE paper 972071, 1997.
- Magnus Sjoberg and John E. Dec, “Combined Effects of Fuel-type and Engine Speed on Intake Temperature Requirements and Completeness of Bulk-Gas Reactions for HCCI Combustion," Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition Engines, vol. SP- 1805, no. 2003.
- J. Yang, T. Culp, T. Kenney, “Development of a Gasoline Engine System Using HCCI Technology –The Concept and test Results”, SAE 2002-01-2832.
- Richter, M., Franke, A., Engström, J., Aldén, M., Hultqvist, A. and Johansson, B. “The Influence of Charge Inhomogeneity on the HCCI Combustion Process”, SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2868, 2000.
- Hultqvist, A., “Characterization of the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Process”,Doctoral Thesis, Department of Heat and Power Engineering, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden 2002. ISBN 91-7874-173-4.
- Jan-Ola Olsson, “The HCCI Engine – High Load Performance and Control Aspects”, Doctoral Thesis, Department of Heat and Power Engineering, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden 2004.
- Pravin Kumar, A. Rehman”Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Combustion Engine- A Review” IOSR Journal of Mechanical And Civil Engineering e-ISSN:2278-1648, p-ISSN: 2320-334X, Volume 11, Issue 6, Ver.II (Nov.- Dec. 2014), PP 47-67.