Author : Harshith H S 1
Date of Publication :13th April 2017
Abstract: - This paper describes the results obtained from fracture toughness tests performed on chilled LM13-Fused SiO2 composite containing dispersoid (size ) content ranging from 3 to 12 wt % varying in steps of 3%. The resulting composites cast in moulds at ambient temperataure containing metallic (copper, Steel, Cast Iron) and non metallic (Silicon Carbide) chills. The effect of strength and fracture toughness for varying chilling rate and dispersoid content was also examined. The strength and fracture toughness tests were carried out in conformance with AFS (American Foundrymen Society) and ASTM (E 399 1990) standards. Results of the investigation reveal that there is good bonding with consistency in the matrix and as the glass content is increased, the strength and fracture toughness increase remarkably and is highly dependent on the location of the casting from where the test specimens are taken. Large particles and the regions of clusters of particles were found to be the locations prone to damage the composite prior to final fracture.
- Foo KS, Banks WM, Craven AJ, Hendry A. Interface characterizationof an SiC particulate/6061 aluminium alloy composite.Composites 1994;25(7):677– 83.
- Davidson AM, Regener D. A comparison of aluminum-basedmetal–matrix composites reinforced with coated and uncoatedparticulate silicon carbide. Compos Sci Technol 2000;60:865–869.
- Suery M, L_Esperance G. Interfacial reactions and mechanicalbehavior of aluminum–matrix composites reinforced with ceramic particles. Key Eng Mater 1993;79- 80:33–46.
- McDanels DL. Analysis of stress–strain, fracture, and ductility behavior of aluminum–matrix composites containing discontinuous silicon carbide reinforcement. Metall Trans A 1985;16A:1105–15.
- Krstic VD. On the fracture of brittle– matrix/ductile–particle composites. Philos Mag A 1983;48:695–70.
- Crowe CR, Gray RA, Haryson DF. Metal Matrix Composites.Metallurgical Society of AIME, Warrendale, PA, USA1985;16:843.
- Lewandowski JJ, Liu C, Hunt WH. Metal Matrix Composites.Metallurgical Society of AIME, Warrendale, PA, USA1985;16:883.
- Reddy GP, Pal PK. Br Foundryman 1976;69:265.
- Seah KHW, Hemanth J, Sharma SC. SME Year Book, EM 94-154. Singapore: EM, 1994: 31