Author : Dinesha Kumar U 1
Date of Publication :18th May 2017
Abstract: In the last decades, the modeling and simulation of machining processes became very important for researchers. AdvantEdge FEM is an explicit commercial code for designing, improving and optimizing machining processes. The solver is optimized for metal cutting processes. For grey cast iron turning coated carbide inserts without chip-breaker (like CNMA geometry) is being used. Insert micro-geometries like edge rounding radius r and edge symmetry S plays an important role in deciding insert wear criteria and tool life. An optimum edge rounding radius should be provided for the insert during edge honing process to obtain maximum insert tool life. The stresses acting on the tool and the temperature distributions inside the tool tip are crucial. The strength of the cemented carbide depends strongly on temperature, a dependency that increases with increasing temperature. In this paper finite element simulations of orthogonal turning of GG25 Cast Iron with uncoated cemented carbide inserts are performed. Cutting forces, stress and edge temperature distributions are compared in 2D orthogonal turning for different edge rounding radius (r = 10μm, 30μm, 50μm and 70μm) and using the actual testing parameters. The modeling and simulation of the turning process can be used to get more inputs the turning process and process parameters
- Ali Hosseini and Hossam A. Kishawy (2014), "Cutting Tool Materials and Tool Wear", Springer, ISBN: 978-3-662-43901-2
- COLLINI, L., et al(2008), “Microstructure and mechanical properties of pearlitic gray cast iron, Materials Science and Engineering”, 488(1-2), 529–539.
- Krause, D. E.(1969), “Gray Iron-A Unique Engineering Material” Gray, Ductile, and Malleable IronCastings-Current Capabilities, ASTM STP 455, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, pp. 3-28.
- B. Denkena, A. Lucas, E. Bassett (2011), "Effects of the cutting edge microgeometry on tool wear and its thermomechanical load", CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology 60 (2011) 73–76
- Corina CONSTANTIN, Sorin-Mihai CROITORU, George CONSTANTIN, Eugen STRĂJESCU(2012), "FEM TOOLS FOR CUTTING PROCESS MODELLING AND SIMULATION", U.P.B. Sci. Bull., Series D, Vol. 74, Iss. 4, 2012, ISSN 1454-2358
- Umbrello D, Filice L, Rizzuti S, Micari F, Settineri L.(2007)“On theeffectiveness of Finite Element simulation of orthogonal cutting with particular reference to temperature predcition”. Journal of Materials Processing Technoloy, 189, 284-291
- AmolThakarea, Anders Nordgren(2015), "Experimental Study and Modeling of Steady State Temperature Distributions in Coated Cemented Carbide Tools in Turning", ScienceDirectProcedia CIRP 31 ( 2015 ) 234 – 239
- AdvantEdge User's Manual 7.2, Third Wave Systems, Inc.