Author : M Sohan 1
Date of Publication :16th May 2017
Abstract: The CFD simulation over a NACA 0012 aerofoil was carried out at subsonic speed of M=0.3 and Re=3×106 by varying AOA from 0⁰ to 16⁰ with a ground clearance of 2c under normal atmospheric conditions. Fine structured grid was created using GAMBIT and the analysis was carried out in ANSYS 16.0. Standard K-epsilon model was used to determine the flow characteristics. Lift and Drag forces were measured, pressure distribution on aerofoil was obtained and velocity survey over the surface was carried out. These values of lift coefficient was compared with the standard values ( i.e. when aerofoil is away from ground ). It was observed that lift coefficient was high when aerofoil is closer to ground. A strong suction effect was observed on lower surface of an aerofoil for lower values of AoA. It was found that higher values of pressure coefficient are obtained on lower surface when aerofoil is closer to ground. This region of high pressure almost extends over the entire lower surface for higher AoA. the drag was higher close to the ground mainly due to the modification of the lower surface pressure distribution. It was also observed that reverse flow was started to occur at higher AoA.
- http://w5gw.com/images/Ground Effect.pdf
- Siva V* Analysis of Ground Effect on a Symmetrical Airfoil. *Assistant Professor, Department of Aeronautical Engineering, Sri Ramakrishna Engineering College, Coimbatore- 641 022.
- Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators. RAMESH TAAL, HOSUR, VIC. Australia: Aviation Theory Centre, 2005.
- Pilot's Encyclopedia of Aeronautical Knowledge 2007, pp. 3-7, 3-8.
- Lift from Flow Turning". NASA Glenn Research Center. Retrieved July 7, 2009.  Dole 2000, pp. 3–8
- Aerodynamics of a NACA4412 Airfoil in Ground Effect M. R. Ahmed, The University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji And T. Takasaki and Y. Kohama Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8577, Japan DOI: 10.2514/1.23872. AIAA JOURNAL Vol. 45, No. 1, January 2007
- An investigation on the aerodynamics of a symmetrical airfoil in ground effect M.R. Ahmed a, S.D. Sharma b, a Department of Engineering, The University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji b Department of Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai 400 076, India
- Siva V Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. ISSN: 2248-9622, Vol. 5, Issue 10, (Part - 2) October 2015, pp.40-42
- Aerodynamics of a Cambered Airfoil in Ground Effect, M. Rafiuddin Ahmed, International Journal of Fluid Mechanics Research, Vol. 32, No. 2, 2005