Author : Harpreet Singh, Hiralal Bhowmick 1
Date of Publication :11th May 2017
Abstract: From the past and till the present scenario, the progress over aluminium metal matrix composites (AMMC) is primarily on the fabrication and mechanical characterization of the composites. The reason for focusing on aluminium composite because of their improved mechanical properties, low density, better corrosion resistance and low production cost are very much suitable for various applications in the field of automotive, aerospace and marine industries. The potential tribological behaviors of these composites are also mainly evaluated through dry sliding friction and wear testing. However, in this paper, in addition to the review of dry sliding applications, an attempt has been made to provide an extensive literature review on the effect of oil and oil additives on the sliding wear and friction behavior of aluminium composite. Due to the ever challenging demand for the minimization of wear and coefficient of friction for the AMMCsteel contact, wet tribology is being used. The authors, along with the sufficient evidences from their own works, show the influence of particle based additives over the conventional wet tribology which implies that the particle additives in oil can significantly enhance the tribological performance if suitably formulated, rather than just going for the base oil and other conventional additives.
- Michael Oluwatosin Bodunrin, Kenneth Kanayo Alaneme, Lesley Heath Chown, “Aluminium matrix hybrid composites: a review of reinforcement philosophies; mechanical, corrosion and tribological characteristics”, J MATER RES TECHNOL , vol4(4), pp.434-445, may 2015.
- Khalid Almadhoni and Sabah Khan “Review of Effective Parameters of Stir Casting Process on Metallurgical Properties of Ceramics Particulate Al Composites”, Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Volume 12, Issue 6 Ver. IV, pp. 22-40, Nov. - Dec. 2015
- Kalyan Kumar Singh,Saurabh Singh, and Anil Kumar Shrivastava, “Study of Tribological Behavior of Silicon Carbide Based Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites under Dry and Lubricated Environment”, Hindawi Publishing Corporation Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, Volume 2016, Article ID 3813412, 11 pages.
- Harish Hirani, Fundamentals of Engineering Tribology with applications, cambridge university press 2016, pp.13-51.
- G.G.Sozhamannan, S.BalasivanandhaPrabu, V. S. K. Venkatagalapathy “Effect of Processing Paramters on Metal Matrix Composites: Stir Casting Process”, Journal of Surface Engineered Materials and Advanced Technology, vol 2, pp. 11-15, Nov 2012.
- Swamy N.R., Ramesh C.S. and Chanderasheker T., (2010), “Effect of heat treatment on strength and abrasive wear behavior of Al6061-SiC composites”, Indian Academy of Science, Vol. 33, pp. 49-54.
- Kumar G., Rao C., Selvaraj N. and Bhagyashekar M. (2010), “Studies on Al6061-SiC and Al7075-Al2O3 Metal Matrix Composites”, Journals of minerals and material characterization & Engineering, Vol.9, pp. 43-55.