Author : R. Seetharamaiah 1
Date of Publication :17th May 2017
Abstract: The aspects of availability and price fluctuations of crude oil have made attractive the use of biodiesel as a viable alternate fuel for CI engine. Many researchers and industries have studied the effects of biofuel- diesel blends on the performance parameters of CI engine. However, many studies have been carried out in advance countries having excellent roads and traffic conditions, where the CI engines usually operate at optimum levels. In the Indian context, the CI engines, especially in the transport sector, have to operate at varying load conditions and therefore it is important to study and analyze the effect of engine load on engine performance parameters. The present study is an attempt to determine the effects of loading a Kirloskar make 3.6 kW, single-cylinder, four-stroke, CI engine with diesel & biofuel as fuel. In this study, the effect of intake charge dilution with exhaust gases on the power and emission characteristics were investigated. With increase in dilution of fresh air with exhaust gases, CO, HC and NOX considerably decreases. As the percentage of EGR is increased from 0% to 15%, slight decrease in BP and & major decrease in NOX are observed, but HC and CO increases as the percentage of EGR is increased. It appears that the intake air dilution by EGR will cause the reduction in temperature in combustion chamber results in reduction of NOx.
- Park SH, Cha J, Lee CS, Effects of bio ethanolblended diesel fuel on combustion and emission reduction characteristics in a direct injection diesel engine with exhaust gas recirculation, Energy fuels, 2010; 24;3872-83.
- Ladommatosa N, Abdelhalima S, Zhao H, control of oxides of nitrogen from diesel engines using diluents while minimizing the impact on particulate pollutants. Applied thermal engineering 1998;18: 963-80.
- Yao MF, Zhang QC, LiuHF, Zheng ZQ, Zhang P, Diesel engine combustion control: medium or heavy EGR? SAE paper no. 2010-01-1125: 2010.
- M. Lapuerta, O. Armas, J. Rodríguez-Fernández, Effect of biodiesel fuels on diesel engine emissions, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 34 (2008) 198-223.
- T. Li, H. Izumi, T. Shudo, H. Ogawa, Y. Okabe, Characterization of Temperature Diesel Combustion with Various Dilution Gases SAE Tech. Pap (2007) Ser. 2007- 01-0126.
- Roy MM. Charcoal-adsorption, water-washing and air-dilution system to reduce diesel emissions with special emphasis on odor reduction. ASME J EnergyResourTechnol 2007; 129(December):338–47.
- Ogawa H, Nabi MN, Minami M, Miyamoto N, Kim B. Ultra low emissions and high performance diesel combustion with a combination of high EGR, three-way catalyst, and a highly oxygenated fuel, dimethoxy methane (DMM). SAE Tech Pap ser No. 2000-01-1819; 2000
- Tsolakis A. Effect on particle size distribution from the diesel engine operating on RME-biodiesel with EGR. Energy Fuel 2006;20:1418–24.