Author : Shamanth V 1
Date of Publication :25th May 2017
Abstract: In this study effect of alpha prime (α’) precipitate on the mechanical properties of thermally embrittled DSS has been investigated. Initially as received material was solutionized at 1070 ºC followed by water quenching in order to dissolve if any harmful precipitates were present. Then the samples were thermally embrittled by heating the samples at 475 ºC and water quenched for varying periods from 25 to 750 hours. Tensile and impact toughness tests were performed in order to evaluate the mechanical properties. Microstructure and fractured samples were examined by scanning electron microscope. Results showed that mechanical properties were significantly degraded when subjected to thermal ageing at 475 ºC which is one of the key limiting factor for the usage of Duplex stainless steels in power plants for long term applications. Mechanism behind475 embrittlement was also investigated in this study.
- S. Bernhardsson, Proceedings of the Conference on Duplex Stainless Steels 91, 1991, pp. 185.
- S. Karlsson, Proceedings of the Conference on Stainless Steels 84, 1985, pp. 438.
- R. Kiesseling, S. Bernhardsson, Proceedings of the Conference on Duplex Stainless Steels 91, 1991, pp. 605..
- Chung, H. M. (1992). Aging and life prediction of cast duplex stainless steel components. International journal of pressure vessels and piping, 50(1), 179-213.
- Li, S., Wang, Y., & Wang, X. (2015). Effects of ferrite content on the mechanical properties of thermal aged duplex stainless steels. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 625, 186-193.
- Shamanth, V., and Ravishankar, K. S. (2015). “Dissolution of alpha-prime precipitates in thermally embrittled S2205-duplex steels during reversion-heat treatment”. Results in Physics, 5, 297-303.
- Yang Zhuo-yue, Su Jie, Wang Ya-ming, “Investigation on Metallurgical Factors Controlling Charpy Impact Toughness in 1Cr21Ni5Ti Duplex Stainless Steel”, J. Iron Steel Res. Int., 16(2) (2009), pp 73-79.
- Zhao-Xi Wang, Fei Xue, Wen-Hai Guo, Hui-Ji Shi, Guo-Dong Zhang, Guogang Shu, “Investigation of thermal aging damage mechanism of th Cast Duplex Stainless Steel”, Nucl. Eng. Des., 239 (2010), pp 2538- 2543.