Author : B.N Sathyanarayana Reddy 1
Date of Publication :10th May 2017
Abstract: Angular distortion often occurs in butt welded joints when transvers shrinkage is not uniform along the depth of the plates welded due to non-uniform heating and cooling along the thickness of plates. This is the main source of mismatch and dimensional inaccuracy in large welded structures. There is need for procedural development and understanding the mechanism of residual stresses and angular distortion in connection with CO2 arc welding process. In the present investigation it is proposed to study the effect of different electrode diameter and edge preparations such as included angle and root opening on distortion in CO2 arc welding process on mild steel. The distortions considered for different edge preparations are angular distortions for single groove, bevel groove butt joints and analyze distortions in butt joints for 8mm plate thickness of size 250x250 in mm and then measurement of different distortions made by 3-D coordinate measuring machine. Angular distortion in single V-groove butt welded joints and bevel groove butt welded joints decreases with increase in the Groove area.
- Kihara, H., and Masubuchi, K., “Studies on the shrinkage and residual welding stress of constrained fundamental joint”, Report No. 24, Transportation Technical Research Institute, No. 7, 1956.
- Hirai, S., and Nakamura, I., “Research on angular change in fillet welds”, Ishikawajima Review, 1955, pp 59–68.
- Kumose, T., Yoshida, T., Abe, T., and Onoue, H., “Prediction of angular distortion caused by one pass fillet welding”, Welding Journal 33, 1954, pp 945–956.
- Mahendramani, G., and Lakshmana Swamy, N., “Effect of groove angle in butt-joints on angular distortion in submerged arc welding”, Indian Welding Journal, Vol.46 (3), July 2013, pp. 33– 37.
- Mahendramani, G., and Lakshmana Swamy, N., “Effect of throat thickness on angular distortion of butt welded joints in submerged arc welding”, International Journal of Materials Science, Vol.9 (1), 2014, pp. 19–25.
- Watanabe, M., and Satoh, K., “Effect of welding conditions on the shrinkage and distortion in welded structures”, Welding Journal 40(8), 1961, pp 377s-384s.
- Mandal, A., and Parmar, R. S., “Effect of process variables and angular distortion of pulse GMAW welded HSLA plates”, Indian Welding Journal, 1997, pp 26–34.
- Vel Murugan, V., and Gunaraj, V., “Effects of process parameters on angular distortion of gas metal arc welded structural steel plates”, Welding Journal 84(11), 2005, pp 165s-171s.
- Yuan, M. G., and Ueda, Y., “Prediction of residual stresses in welded T and I-joints using inherent strains”, Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology 118(4), 1996, pp 229–2.