Author : Mohammedrafi H. Kerur 1
Date of Publication :5th April 2017
Abstract: The present theoretical study predicts the static and dynamic performance characteristics of porous journal bearing considering rise in fluid film temperature. The modified Reynolds equation governing the pressure field within fluid-film is derived by simplifying the Navier-Stokes equation. The modified energy equations governing the temperature fields are also derived for both fluid film and porous medium. The modified Reynolds and energy equations are simultaneously solved using finite element method with appropriate iterative schemes. The influence of permeability of porous matrix on static and dynamic performance characteristics of porous journal bearing is computed using thermo-hydrodynamic (THD) analysis and compared with the isothermal performance characteristics of the same bearing. The performance parameters of finite porous journal bearings under THD analysis were found to be significantly influenced by the permeability of porous matrix. The influence of permeability of porous matrix has observed to couple with operating eccentricity, speed of journal and temperature effects.
- Lin J. R., and Hwang C. C., “Lubrication of Short Porous Journal Bearings-use of the Brinkman Extended Darcy Model,” Wear, vol. 161, pp 93- 104, 1993.
- Reason B. R., and Siew A. H., “A Refined Numerical Solution for the Hydrodynamic Lubrication of Finite Porous Journal Bearings,” Tribology Group, Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs, vol. 199, pp 85-93, 1985.
- Guha S. K., “Linear Stability Performance Analysis of Finite Hydrostatic Porous Journal Bearings under the Coupled Stress Lubrication with the Additives Effects into Pores,” Tribology International, vol. 43, pp 1294-1306, 2010.
- Naduvinamani N. B., and Siddangouda A., “Effect of Surface Roughness on the Hydrodynamic Lubrication of Porous Step-Slider Bearings with Couple Stress Fluids,” Tribology International, vol. 40, pp 780-793, 2007.
- Naduvinamani N. B., and Patil S. B., “Numerical Solution of Finite Modified Reynolds Equation for couple Stress Squeeze Film Lubrication of Porous Journal Bearings,” Computers and structures, vol. 87, pp 1287-1295, 2009.
- Lekaa H. Abd Al-shaheed., “Effect of Journal Misalignment on the Static Characteristics of Porous Journal Bearings Lubricated with Couple Stress Fluid,” Al-Khwarizmi Engineering Journal, vol. 8, pp 42-53, 2012.
- Mak W. C., and Conway H. D., “Effects of Velocity Slip on the Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication of Short Porous Journal Bearings,” International Journal Mechanical Science, vol. 20, pp 767-775, 1978.
- Abdallah A. Elsharkawy., and Lotfi H. Guedouar., “Hydrodynamic Lubrication of Porous Journal Bearing using a Modified Brinkman-Extended Darcy Model,” Tribology International, vol. 34, pp 767–777, 2001.