Author : M.P. Jenarthanan 1
Date of Publication :8th August 2017
Abstract: This study aims to develop a mathematical model for analyzing the surface roughness and delamination factor and to infer the influence of the individual input machining parameters (cutting speed, depth of cut and feed rate) on the responses in milling of Sheet Metal Composite (SMC) with solid carbide end mill cutter coated with PCD using Taguchi methodology. In Taguchi methodology, three factors and two responses were employed to carry out the experimental investigation. Multiple Regression Analysis from “Minitab” software was used for regression and graphical analysis of the data were collected. The optimum values of the selected variables were obtained by solving the regression equation. Analysis of variance (ANOVA) was applied to check the validity of the model and for finding the significant parameters. It is seen that Feed rate is the most influencing factor in affecting the surface roughness and delamination. In SMC composite as the speed and feed increases the surface roughness value decreases. Moderate feed and speed gives ideal finish. But the parameter depth of cut shows a wavy nature. Only for a very high depth, the roughness increases. The optimized values of the machining parameters were used to calculate the surface roughness and delamination factor of the machined surfaces, with the chosen range resulting with 93 per cent.
- Teti, R.,“Machining of Composite Materials”, CIRP Annals Manufacturing technology, Vol 51 No 2, pp 611-34, 2002.
- Pare, Vikas., Agnihotri, Geeta ., Krishna, C.M.,” Optimization of Cutting Conditions in End Milling Process with the Approach of Particle Swarm Optimization”,International Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (IJMIE), Vol 1 No 2, pp 21-5, 2011.
- Hayajneh, Mohammed T., Tahat, Montasser S., Bluhm, Joachim., “A Study of the Effects of Machining Parameters on the Surface Roughness in the End-Milling Process”, Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Vol 1 No 1, pp 1-5, 2007
- Lakshmi, V V K., DrSubbaiah, K Venkata., “Modelling and Optimization of Process Parameters during End Milling of Hardened Steel “ International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA), Vol. 2 No 2, pp.674-9, 2013.
- Azmi,A.I., Lin, R.J.T., Bhattacharyya,D., “Machinability study of glass fibre-reinforced polymer composites during end milling” International Journal for Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol 64 No 1, pp 247-61, 2012.
- Sreenivasulu, Reddy.,” Optimization of Machining Parameters during End Milling of GFRP Composites by Desirability Function Analysis using Taguchi Technique”, 5th International & 26th All India Manufacturing Technology, Design and Research Conference (AIMTDR 2014) December 12th–14th, 2014, IIT Guwahati, Assam, India, vol 338, pp 1-6, 2014.
- Moshat,Sanjith., Datta,Saurav., Bandyopadhyay,Asish., Kumar Pal., Pradip, ”Optimization of CNC end milling process parameters using PCA-based Taguchi method”, International Journal of Engineering, Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 92-102, 2010