Author : Shree Laxmi Prashanth 1
Date of Publication :17th August 2017
Abstract: Concrete is a versatile building material that has been used extensively for infrastructure development since past many decades. However cement, the key ingredient that is used to bind the other ingredient is not a ecofriendly material, since the manufacturing of cement releases harmful greenhouse gases. This paper represents state of the art on alternative materials that can be used as replacement to cement. The paper also highlights potential of alternative materials that can be used as an alternative to cement as a binder. Compressive strength being the major requirement of the concrete, the paper focuses on strength development of various alternative binders. Durability cannot be neglected although, the durability aspect of the binders ae also mentioned herewith.
- Barette T J, De La Varga, shlitter J, Weiss W J (2011). Reducing the risk of Cracking in High volume Flyash Concrete by using Internal Curing, proceedings of World of coal ash conference may 9-12 2011.
- D.P. Bentz, K.A. Snyder Protected paste volume in concrete: Extension to internal curing using saturated lightweight fine aggregate , Cement and Concrete Research, vol 29 (11) 1999, Pages 1863-1867
- Malhotra, V.M. ―High-Performance, High-Volume Fly Ash Concrete.‖ Concrete International 24(7), 2002, pp. 30-34.  Mustafa Sahmaran, Ismail Ö. Yaman, Mustafa Tokyay, ―Transport and mechanical properties of self consolidating concrete with high volume fly ash‖, Cement & Concrete Composites 31 (2009) 99–106.
- Jiang, L.H., and V.M. Malhotra. ―Reduction in Water Demand of Non Air-Entrained Concrete Incorporating Large Volume of Fly Ash.‖ Cement and Concrete Research 30, 2000, pp. 1785-1789.
- O M Jensen, P F Hansen, ―Water-entrained cementbased materials: I. Principles and theoretical background‖ Cement and Concrete Research, 30, 2000, April 2001, Pages 647-654
- P.C A tcin, ―The durability characteristics of high performance concrete: a review‖ Cement and Concrete composites, Issues 4-5, May-July 2003, Pages 409-420
- Vanita Aggarwal, S.M.Gupta,S.N.Sachdeva, Concrete Durability Through High Volume Fly ash Concrete (HVFC) A Literature review, International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology Vol. 2(9), 2010, 4473-4477