Author : Syed Tabin Rushad 1
Date of Publication :15th September 2017
Abstract: U-wrapped externally bonded Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer (GFRP) provides a valuable alternative for strengthening of shear deficient beams. The effect of GFRP laminates up to three laminas for strengthening the beams in shear has been studied. The GFRP laminate (00/450/450/00) was wrapped in U-fashion on the beams, to ascertain its suitability for strengthening the beams. Beams, U-wrapped with GFRP all along the span, were tested by four-point loading. The results of the experimental program were validated using the software ANSYS. It has been found that considerable enhancement of shear strength can be achieved for shear deficient beams wrapped with GFRP laminates.
- Yasmeen T. O., Susanne H.,and Ola D., “The effect of CFRP and CFRP/concrete interface models when modeling retrofitted RC beams with FEM” Composite Structures ,pp. 1391-1398, 2010.
- Andrei M. R., Stefania V., and Gian P.C., “Retrofit of Structures: Strength Reduction with Damping Enhancement”, 37th Technical Panel Meeting on Wind and Seismic Effects UJNR, May16-21, Tsukuba, Japan, pp.1-14, 2005.
- Elyasian I, Abdoli N and Ronagh H.R (2006) Evaluation of parameters effective in FRP shear strengthening of RC beams using FE method. Asian Journal of Civil Engineering (Building and Housing) 7(3), pp. 249- 257, 2006
- Sawant SG, Sawant AB and Kumthekar M.B, Strengthening of RCC beam using different glass fiber. International Journal of Inventive Engineering and Sciences 1(2), pp. 1-8, 2013.
- Potisuk, T. “Finite element modeling of reinforced concrete beams externally strengthened by FRP composites.” MS Thesis., Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, 2000.