Author : Abdul Qader Melhem 1
Date of Publication :21st September 2017
Abstract: The aims of this paper is to focus on the current methods in strengthening columns, which are exposed to axial load and bending moment (or exposed to un-axial loads), by means of steel angles, and to invest these methods in numerical practical examples according to ultimate strength method. Then suggesting useful method & equations to strengthen RC column subjected to axial and bending moment. Afterward, a comparative study has been conducted to figure out the governing parameters of behavior of steel angles and strips that strengthen RC columns. It has been started by outlining general framework for rehabilitation & strengthening of RC columns via steel angles and strips exposed to a combined bending, which will be studied in detail. It shows the current experimental proposed equations to strengthen axially loaded columns.
- D. Sen and M. Begum. "A Comparative study of Steel Angles and Strips Strengthened RC Columns”, Asian Journal of Civil Engineering (BHRC) Vol.18, No. 3 (2017) Pages 515-534
- Tarabia, A.M., Albakry. H.F., "Strengthening of RC columns by steel angles and strips", Alexandria Engineering Journal, Alexandria, Egypt 2014
- Khalifa, E. S. and Sherif H. A. T., "Experimental and analytical behavior of strengthened reinforced concrete columns with steel angles and strips", Int. J. Adv. Struct. Eng. 2014.
- Sakino, K. and Sun, Y., "Steel jacketing for improvement of column strength and ductility", 12 WCEE, 2000.
- Islam, N. and Hoque, M. M., “Strengthening o Reinforced Concrete Columns by Steel Jacketing: A State of Review”, Asian Transactions on Engineering (ATE ISSN: 2221-4267) Volume 05 Issue 03, 2015
- Buildings code requirements for structural concrete (ACI 318-09). Detroit (MI): American Concrete Institute (ACI), 2009.  Furlong RW. Column rules of ACI, SSLC and LRFD compared. Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE 1983;109:2375–86