Author : Vaikunth B 1
Date of Publication :3rd November 2017
Abstract: Lower Extremity Exoskeletons are used in medical field for improving the quality of life of wheelchair bound people who suffer from partial or total loss of lower body motor functions either in accident or by birth, by providing assistive technology to enable system-assisted walking or restoration of other motor controls. Our aim is to create a lower extremity exoskeleton which can be used by people suffering from C5 - C8 spinal column injury or people with underdeveloped legs. It can also be used as device to augment healthy people to carry more loads while walking. HELEX is an electrically powered exoskeleton with linear actuators which helps in miming the Gait cycle.
- Pratt, J.E., Krupp, B.T., Morse, C.J. and Collins, S.H., 2004, April. The RoboKnee: an exoskeleton for enhancing strength and endurance during walking. In Robotics and Automation, 2004. Proceedings. ICRA'04. 2004 IEEE International Conference on (Vol. 3, pp. 2430-2435). IEEE.
- Zoss, A. and Kazerooni, H., 2006. Design of an electrically actuated lower extremity exoskeleton. Advanced Robotics, 20(9), pp.967-988.
- Kazerooni, H., Harding, N.H. and Angold, R., The Regents Of The University Of California, 2011. Lower extremity exoskeleton. U.S.Patent 7,947,004.
- Walsh, C.J., Endo, K. and Herr, H., 2007. A quasipassive leg exoskeleton for load-carrying augmentation. International Journal of Humanoid Robotics, 4(03), pp.487- 506.
- Rajasekaran, V., Aranda, J. and Casals, A., 2015, August. Compliant gait assistance triggered by user intention. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2015 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE (pp. 3885- 3888). IEEE.
- Kazerooni, H., Racine, J.L., Huang, L. and Steger, R., 2005, April. On the control of the berkeley lower extremity exoskeleton (BLEEX). In Robotics and automation, 2005. ICRA 2005. Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE international conference on (pp.4353-4360). IEEE.
- Gregorczyk, K.N., Hasselquist, L., Schiffman, J.M., Bensel, C.K., Obusek, J.P. and Gutekunst, D.J., 2010. Effects of a lower-body exoskeleton device on metabolic cost and gait biomechanics during load carriage. Ergonomics, 53(10), pp.1263-1275.