Author : Dr.H K Shivanand 1
Date of Publication :12th April 2017
Abstract: The role of natural fibers reinforced hybrid composite are growing in a field of engineering and technology due to favourable properties. In the present unsustainable environmental condition natural fibers are serving better materials in terms of biodegradability, low cost, high strength and corrosion resistance when compared to conventional materials. Development of the polymer hybrid composite as a sustainable alternative materials for some engineering applications, particularly in aerospace application and automobile applications are being investigated. The main objective is to fabricate the single banana, Kenaf fiber and hybrid composites and to evaluate the properties of hybrid composites. The hybrid laminates are fabricated by using Banana & Kenaf as reinforcing materials with polyester resin. The specimens are prepared according to ASTM standards and the tensile, flexural and hardness tests are carried out. From this study it is observed that the hybrid composites are showing better results compared to the individual fiber composites
- Goulart S.A.S., Oliveira T.A., Teixeira A., Mileo P.C., Mulinari D.R., Mechanical behaviour of polypropylene reinforced palm fibers composites, Procedia Engineering;2011;10:2034-2039.
- N. Venkateshwaran, A. ElayaPerumal ,A. Alavudeen M. Thiruchitrambalam. Mechanical and water absorption behaviour of banana/sisal reinforced hybrid composites 32 (2011) 4017-4021.
- M.Ramesha, K.Palanikumar, K.Hemachandra Reddy. Comparative Evaluation on Properties of Hybrid Glass Fiber- Sisal/Jute Reinforced Epoxy Composites. Procedia Engineering 51 (2013) 745 – 750.
- R. Velmurugan, V. Manikandan, Mechanical properties of palmyra/glass fiber hybrid composites. Composites: Part A 38 (2007) 2216–2226
- M. Ramesh, K. Palanikumar, K. Hemachandra Reddy Mechanical property evaluation of sisal–jute–glass fiber reinforced polyester composites, Composites: Part B;2013; 48:1–9.
- S.M. Sapuan, A. Leenie, M. Harimi, Y.K. Beng, Mechanical properties of woven banana fibre reinforced epoxy composites, Materials and Design; 2006;27: 689– 693.
- N.Venkateshwaran,A.Elayaperumal, A. Alavudeen, M.Thiruchitrambalam, Mechanical and water absorption behaviour of banana/sisal reinforced hybrid composites, Materials and Design;2011; 32:4017–4021.