Author : Jayabala D 1
Date of Publication :1st December 2017
Abstract: In Electroless nickel phosphorus coatings, the corrosion and wear resistance is determined by the percentage weight of phosphorus in the coating. In order to improve the sustainability of Nickel- Phosphorus coating on a substrate subjected to wear and corrosion during use, by using varying temperature and pH levels, bilayer and duplex coating are coated on the sample and a comparative study was conducted along with the conventional mono-layer coating and the results were analyzed. Bilayer and duplex coatings constituted of two layers of 10 micrometers, each was prepared according to three distinct configurations (medium Phosphorous, High Phosphorous, and a Duplex layer). The hardness characteristics of duplex coatings are influenced by the hardness of Ni3P phase in the coatings which are found to be more stable and is obtained by heat treatment after the coating process is completed. The duplex coated sample is heat-treated to check whether there is any change in the corrosion properties while increasing the surface hardness. The wear test was conducted on a pin on disc apparatus, corrosion testing method used was salt spray corrosion testing, surface hardness / micro hardness was calculated using a micro Vicker’s hardness tester.
- AnhKietTieu, Buyung Kosasih et al„A simulation of wear behavior of high-speed steel hot rolls by means of high temperature pin-on-disc tests‟ - Surface and Coatings Technology
- Abdel Hamid,Z. Athyia, A.M.et al „Influence of deposition temperature and heat treatment on the performance of EN-B films‟ - Surface and Coatings Technology, 205(2010) 2348-2354 .
- Badrinarayanan, S. Nageswara Rao,et al„ Characterization of Electroless Nickel and Copper coating: An X-Ray photoelectron spectroscopy study‟- Surface and Coatings Technology, 30(1987) 137-146.
- Balaraju, J.N. Kalavati, et al„Influence of particle size on Microstructure, Hardness and Corrosion resistance of Electroless Ni-P-Al2O3 composition coatings‟ - Surface and Coatings Technology, 200(2006) 3933-3941.
- Barker, B.D. Kerr, et al ‟Electrochemical characterization of the corrosion resistance of electrochemically deposited metal coatings‟ - Surface and Coatings Technology, 202 (2008) 5092-5102
- Berrios, J.A. Diaz,et al „Fatigue behavior of AISI 4540 steel coated with Electroless Ni-P deposit‟ - Surface and Coatings Technology, 149 (2002) 45-56.