Author : Abhinav Mahendra 1
Date of Publication :30th November 2017
Abstract: 3D printing is one of the latest technologies used in the development of prototypes. Many researchers have carried out a lot of work on the materials used and also on the type of 3D machines. In the present investigation, a 3D printing machine was used based on Cartesian coordinates. The material used was Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS). The process parameters infill and layer thickness were varied to find out the structure and strength of the product. Around 9 samples were prepared by varying the infill and layer thickness. The prepared specimens were tested for surface roughness and hardness. The specimens were also observed under scanning electron microscopy (SEM) for their structure. It was observed that the specimen with the highest infill and least layer thickness has produced better results in terms of roughness and the specimen with the highest infill and largest layer thickness has produced better results in terms of hardness.
- Thomas L. Starr Timothy, J. Gornet ,John S. Usher, “The effect of process conditions on mechanical properties of laser‐sintered nylon, Rapid Prototyping Journal, 2011, Volume 17, Issue 6, pp.418-423.
- Antonio Lanzotti, Marzio Grasso, Gabriele Staiano, Massimo Martorelli, "The impact of process parameters on mechanical properties of parts fabricated in PLA with an open-source 3-D printer", Rapid Prototyping Journal, 2015,Vol. 21 Issue: 5, pp.604-617,
- Hwang, Seyeon; Reyes, Edgar I; Moon, Kyoungsik; Rumpf, Raymond C; Kim, Nam Soo., “Thermomechanical Characterization of Metal/Polymer Composite Filaments and Printing Parameter Study for Fused Deposition Modeling in the 3D Printing Process” Journal of Electronic Materials; Warrendale 44.3 (Mar 2015): 771-777.
- Kaufui V. Wong and Aldo Hernandez, “A Review of Additive Manufacturing” International Scholarly Research Network ISRN Mechanical Engineering Vol 2012, Article ID 208760, 10 pages.
- Nannan GUO, Ming C. LEU, Additive manufacturing: technology, applications and research needs, Front. Mech. Eng. 2013, 8(3): 215–243.
- Omar A. Mohamed et.al. Optimization of fused deposition modeling process parameters: a review of current research and future prospects, March 2015, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp 42–53