Author : D Kumaravel 1
Date of Publication :30th November 2017
Abstract: Research work deals with the identification of the best combination of the welding process for SS410 metal by using TIG welding. Welding voltage, gas flow rate and strike off distance were selected to ascertain with effect on the metal hardness of the welding bead. NDT technique is used to detect the defect of the welding bed. SS410 have gathered wide acceptance in the fabrication of the lightweight structures requiring a high strength to weight ratio and good corrosion resistance. Modern structures concepts demand reduction in the weight as well as the cost of the production and fabrication of the materials.410 SS joints are inevitable for certain applications due to unique performances such as corrosion resistance and mechanical properties. TIG welding is the most conventional method used due to material and energy saving. An attempt was made in this study to improve the hardness and tensile strength by tungsten inert gas welding of 410 SS. Optimum parameters were obtained using a statistical approach. Impact and hardness tests were applied to the joints. This present work deals with a novel approach for the optimization of welding parameters on SS410 welded joints with multiple responses based on the orthogonal array by grey relational analysis. Experiments are conducted by varying the welding parameters in Tungsten inert gas welding. In this study, welding parameters namely voltage, gas flow rate and strike off distances are optimized with the considerations of multi responses such as impact strength and hardness. A grey relational grade is obtained from the grey analysis. Based on the grey relational grade, optimum levels of parameters have been identified. The ultrasonic testing helped to detect the defects in the welded segment for further acceptance. Experimental results have shown that the responses in welding process can be improved effectively through this novel approach.
- Kumar, S.(2010) Experimental investigation on pulsed TIG welding of aluminium plate. Advanced Engineering Technology.1(2), 200-211
- Indira Rani, M., & Marpu, R. N.(2012). Effect of Pulsed Current Tig Welding Parameters on Mechanical Properties of J-Joint Strength of Aa6351. The International Journal of Engineering And Science (IJES),1(1), 1-5.
- Tseng, K. H., & Hsu, C. Y. (2011). Performance of activated TIG process in austenitic stainless steel welds. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 211(3), 503- 512.
- Narang, H. K., Singh, U. P., Mahapatra, M. M., & Jha, P. K. (2011). Prediction of the weld pool geometry of TIG arc welding by using fuzzy logic controller. International Journal of Engineering, Science and Technology, 3(9), 77-85.
- Karunakaran, N. (2012). Effect of Pulsed Current on Temperature Distribution, Weld Bead Profiles and Characteristics of GTA Welded Stainless Steel Joints. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 2(12).
- Raveendra, A., & Kumar, B. R.(2013). Experimental study on Pulsed and NonPulsed Current TIG Welding of Stainless Steel sheet (SS304). International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 2(6)
- Sakthivel, T., Vasudevan, M., Laha, K., Parameswaran, P., Chandravathi, K. S., Mathew, M. D., & Bhaduri, A. K. (2011). Comparison of creep rupture behaviour of type 316L (N) austenitic stainless steel joints welded by TIG and activated TIG welding processes. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 528(22), 6971-6980.