Author : Hamed Mofidi Tabatabaei 1
Date of Publication :30th December 2017
Abstract: The present study discusses the trials of friction stir welding (FSW) on the Zn-22Al superplastic alloy. The effect of different process parameters of FSW tool on the mechanical behaviour of the welded zone has been discussed. The results are discussed in terms of mechanical properties and microstructure observations. A new developed FSW tool which was investigated in our laboratory was used in the experiments to investigate the structural changes of microstructures of the material as well. Results revealed a fine grain structure after FSW within the stir zone.
-  WM. Thomas, ED. Nicholas, JC. Needham, MG Murch, P. Temple-Smith, CJ. Dawes, ―Friction Stir Butt Welding,‖ International Patent Application No. PCT/GB92/02203, GB Patent Application No. 9125978.8, and U.S. Patent No. 5460317, 1991.
- T. Nishihara , ―Development of friction stir forming,‖ Mater Sci Forum, vol. 426-432, pp. 2971–2978, 2003.  T. Nishihara, A. Ito, ―Measurement of die temperature during friction stir forming,‖ Welding in the World, Vol. 49(3), pp. 22–26, 2005.
- K. Yamamura, K. Torikai, T. Nishihara, ―Mechanical Interlock of Thin Metallic Wire Using Friction Stir Forming,‖ Friction Stir Welding and Processing VI, ed. by R. Mishra, M. W. Mahoney, Y. Sato, Y. Hovanski, and R. Verma, pp. 281–288, 2011.
- Hamed Mofidi Tabatabaei, Tadashi Nishihara, ―Friction stir forming for mechanical interlocking of insulated copper wire and Zn-22Al superplastic alloy,‖ Welding in the World, vol. 61, Issue 1, pp 47–55, Jan. 2017.
- Hamed Mofidi, Takahiro Hara, Tadashi Nishihara, ―Production of a Superplastic Vibration-Damping Steel Sheet Composite using Friction Stir Forming,‖ Materials Science Forum vol. 838-839, pp 574-580, Jan. 2016.
- Takahiro Ohashi, Hamed Mofidi Tabatabaei, Tadashi Nishihara, ―Fastenerless-Riveting Utilizing Friction Stir Forming for Dissimilar Materials Joining,‖ Key Engineering Materials, vol. 751, pp 186-191, 2017.
- Nishihara, T, ―Friction Stir Welding of Superplastic Zn– 22Al Alloy‖, Proc 14th Int Offshore Polar Eng Conf, France, ISOPE, vol. 4, pp. 78–82, 2004.
- A. Mitchell, ―Melting, casting and forging problems in titanium alloys,‖ Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol. 243, Issues 1–2, pp. 257-262, March 1998.
- Degarmo E Paul, Black J T, Kohser Ronald A, ―Materials and Processes in Manufacturing,‖ 9th ed., Wiley, ISBN 0-471-65653-4, pp. 223, 2003.
- T. Tanaka, K. Higashi, ―Superplasticity at Room Temperature in Zn-22Al Alloy Processed by Equal-ChannelAngular Extrusion,‖ Maters Transactions. vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 1261-1265, 2004.
- RJ. Barnhurst, ―Zinc and Zinc Alloys—Properties and Selection: Nonferrous Alloys and Special-Purpose Materials,‖ ASM Handbook, ASM International, vol. 2, pp. 542, 1990.
- H. Mofidi, T. Nishihara, ―Effect of Friction Stir Processing on Superplastic Behavior of Zn–22Al Alloy,‖ Proc 1st Int Joint Symp Joining Weld, ed. by Fujii H, pp. 383–387, 2013.
- H.M. Tabatabaei, T. Nishihara, ―Grain Refinement of Zn-22Al Superplastic Alloy Using Friction Stir Processing,‖ International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers. vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 204–209, June 2017.
- W. Tang, X. Guo, J.C. McClure, L.E. Murr, ―Heat Input and Temperature Distribution in Friction Stir Welding,‖ Journal of materials proceedings &manufacturing science. pp. 163-172, 1998.
- EO. Hall, ―The Deformation and Ageing of Mild Steel— III Discussion of Results,‖ Proceedings of the Physical Society, vol. 64(9), pp. 747–753, 1951.
- NJ. Petch, ―The Cleavage Strength of Polycrystals,‖ The Journal of the Iron and Steel Institute, vol. 174, pp. 25–28, 1953.