Author : Rajasekhar Sivapuram 1
Date of Publication :30th September 2017
Abstract: The emphasis of recent research works in the area of composite materials has been more on improving mechanical properties like tensile strength, micro hardness and wear resistance, fatigue properties etc. The reason is that the desired mechanical properties were not obtained by the ordinary engineering materials. In the present days, significant demand for materials with good wear resistance has been there in automotive, aerospace and military applications. In the present research work, the wear rate of Al6061/SiC metal matrix composite (MMC) has been enhanced by reinforcing Zirconium (Zr) particles to the molten Al6061/SiC metal matrix composites (MMC) by stir casting technique. The wear rate was tested using pin on disk wear tester. An effort has been made to blend 2% of Zr with Al6061 alloy by varying Sic in 10, 15 and 20%. The wear resistance of Al6061/SiC has been improved significantly due to the uniform distribution of Zr particles in the matrix.
- B.Vijaya Ramnath, C. Elanchezhian, RM. Annamalai, S.Aravind, T. Sri Ananda Atreya, V. Vignesh, C.Subramanian. Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites – A Review. Reviews on Advanced Material Science, Volume 38, Pages 55-60.
- K. R. Padmavathi and R. Ramakrishnan. Tribological and Mechanical Characterization of Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol 9(S1), Doi: 10.17485/Ijst/2016/V9is1/107616, December 2016.
- Siddique Ahmed Ghias B.Vijaya Ramnath. Investigation of Tensile Property of Aluminium SiC Metal Matrix. International Journal Applied Mechanics and Materials, Volume 766-767, 2015, Pages 252-256.
- Suryanarayanan K. R. Praveen, S. Raghuraman. Silicon Carbide Reinforced Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites for Aerospace Applications: A Literature Review. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 2, (2013), 6336- 6344.
- Devaraju Aruri, Kumar Adepu, Kumaraswamy Adepu, Kotiveerachari Bazavada. Wear And Mechanical Properties of 6061-T6 Aluminium Alloy Surface Hybrid Composite [(Sic+Gr) And (Sic+Al2O3)] Fabricated By Friction Stir Processing.Jmr&T, J Mater Res Technol.2013; 2(4):362-369.