Author : Natraj Singh 1
Date of Publication :24th January 2018
Abstract: The significance of the transport sector lies not only in the specific services it renders, but even more in unifying and integrating influences it renders on the economy. Railways, an integral part of the transport network, play a crucial role in facilitating trade. In a large developing country like India, railways are a medium of long-distance transportation of passenger and freight. Good physical connectivity in urban and rural areas is essential for economic growth and bridges plays a crucial role in achieving this target. Generally, project planners perform comparative cost analysis up to Composite Cost (material cost & placement of span) without considering lifecycle cost and effect of depth of girder on the cost of approaches. In this present study, analysis of superstructure for 35m span has been performed under IRC loading with STAAD software and design has been carried out as per relevant IRC codes. An attempt has been made to include the factors of lifecycle cost and increase in overall cost of superstructure due to increase in the length of bridge approaches. After designing, estimation and costing of the superstructure have been carried out. Afterwards taking into consideration of all the cost stages like Basic material cost, Composite cost, Lifecycle cost and Combined cost, it is seen that Composite steel girder comes out to be an economical option for the first three stages but the scenario changes in case of Combined cost and Steel Truss comes out to be the best choice.
- Ponnuswamy, S. (2009). “Bridge Engineering.” Pub. Tata McGraw Hill Education Private Limited, New Delhi, Second Edition.
- Sarraf, Raed El., Iles, David., Momtahan, Amin., Easey, David., and Hicks, Stephen. (2013). “Steel-concrete Composite Bridge Design Guide.” NZ Transport Agency research report, New Zealand.
- Pritchard, Brian. (1992). “Bridge Design for Economy and Durability.” Pub. Thomas Telford, London.
- Weisskoff, Richard., and Fauth, Gary. (2003). “Comparing Costs of Options for Reconstructing the 12th and 27th Avenue Bridges Over the Miami River.” Miami River Commission Report.
- McKeel, W.T., Miller, Jr., A.B., Clark, K.S., Saufley, R.W., Bushman, Jr., W.H., and Lester, T.L. (2006). “Best Practices for the Rehabilitation and Moving of Historic Metal Truss Bridges.”