Author : B M Umeshgowda 1
Date of Publication :23rd November 2017
Abstract: Drilling is one of the oldest and the most widely used of all machining processes, comprising about one-third of all metal- machining operations. Drilling of composite materials is an important and current topic in modern researches on manufacturing processes. Currently, the use of composite materials has increased in various areas of science and technology due to their special physical and mechanical properties such as high specific strength, stiffness and fatigue strength. The quality of the drilled hole depends on the factors such as speed, feed rate, tool geometry etc. The efficient and economical machining of the materials is required for the desired dimensions and surface finish. Taguchi technique is a powerful tool in experiment design and it provides a simple, efficient and systematic approach to optimization, quality and cost. The methodology is valuable when the design parameters are qualitative and discrete. Taguchi’s Orthogonal Array based on Robust design is one of the important techniques, which is used for optimization of input parameters of drilling. In this paper, an attempt has been made to optimize the drilling parameters using the Taguchi’s technique which is based on the Robust design. Experiments are carried out on machining the various % weight of Si3N4 in Epoxy Resin - Si3N4 Composite (ERC) materials, using the HSS tool for various cutting conditions. The input process parameters considered during experiments are viz, % weight of Si3N4, Speed, Feed, the diameter of a drill bit and machining time. The response variables measured for the analysis are surface roughness, delamination, circularity, cylindricity and tool wear. Analysis has been done through various steps like calculating degrees of freedom, physical layout and total response layout up to ANOVA. After the confirmation experiment, it was observed that optimized parameters have given best results, so these parameters can be used to achieve the good surface roughness, less delamination, better circularity, cylindricity and less tool wear than before.
- Tom sunny, J.Babu and Jose Philip, “Experimental studies on effect of process parameters on delamination in drilling GFRP composites using Taguchi method”, Materials science, Vol. 6, pp. 1131-1142, 2014.
- Kilickap E, “Optimization of cutting parameters on delamination based on Taguchi method during drilling of GFRP composite” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 37, pp. 6116–6122, 2010.
- Palanikumar K, “Experimental investigation and optimisation in drilling of GFRP composites”, Measurement, Vol. 44, pp. 2138–2148, 2011.
- J.P.Davim and Pedro Reis, “Study of delamination in drilling carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP) using design experiments”, composites structures, Vol. 59, pp. 481-487, 2003.
- J.paulo Davim, Pedro Reis and C.Conceicao Antonio, “Experimental study of drilling glass fiber reinforced plastics (GFRP) manufactured by hand lay-up”, composites science and technology, Vol. 64, pp. 289-297, 2004.
- C.C.Tsao and H.Hocheng, “Taguchi analysis of delamination associated with various drill bits in drilling of composite material”, International journal of machine tools and manufacture, Vol. 44, pp. 1403-1416, 2004.
- Vijayan Krishnaraj, A.Prabukarthi,Arun Ramanathan and J.P.Davim, “optimization of machining parameters at high speed drilling of carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) laminates”, composites, Vol. 43, pp. 1791-1799, 2012.
- H.Hocheng and C.C. Tsao, “Effects of special drill bits on drilling-induced delamination of composite materials”, International journal of machine tools and manufacture, Vol. 46, pp. 1403-1416, 2006.
- Venkateswarlu Ganta and Vinod Kumar Vankantia, “Optimization of process parameters in drilling of GFRP composite using Taguchi method”, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, Vol. 3, pp. 35-41, 2014.
- T.V. Rajamurugan and K. Shanmugam, “Analysis of delamination in drilling glass fiber reinforced polyester composites ”, Materials and Design , Vol. 45, pp. 80–87, 2013.