Author : Avdhoot A Ambavle 1
Date of Publication :24th January 2018
Abstract: The rehabilitation of existing Reinforced Concrete (RC) structures becomes necessary due to defects in design/construction, ageing, damage due to earthquake/fire, corrosion of reinforcing steel, demand in the increased service loads and revisions in the design guidelines. Rehabilitation of RC structures can be done in various ways such as repairing, retrofitting & strengthening. Fiber Reinforced Polymers (FRP) has emerged as the promising material for rehabilitation of deficient RC structures and accepted by construction industry due to ease of application. Beams are flexural elements in RC framed structures. From the previous researchers, it is revealed that most of the work is done to study the flexural behavior of RC beam deficient in flexure by applying GFRP laminates for full length on tension face of the beam or U-wrapping. In this way, the GFRP laminates applied on shear zone cannot be efficiently utilized for flexure strengthening. In the present research work, the effect of varying length of GFRP laminate on flexural behavior of deficient RC beams was investigated. The investigation was done on beams with GFRP laminates applied on tension side and subjected to three-point static loading system. Finite Element Analysis (FEA) of the similar specimens were carried out using ANSYS. The results obtained from ANSYS were in good agreement with the experimental investigation. From the test results, it was observed that flexural capacity of RC beams varied with the length of GFRP laminate applied.
- Anumol Raju and Liji Anna Mathew, “Retrofitting of RC beams using FRP”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, ISSN: 2278-0181, Vol. 2 Issue 1, January- 2013, pp 1-5 (2013).
- Hamid Saadatmanesh, Mohammad R. Ehsani, “RC beams strengthened with GFRP plates. I: experimental study”, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 117, No.11, ISSN 0733- 9445/91/0011-3417 pp 3417-3433 (1991).
- Sing-Ping Chiew, M. ASCE, Qin Sun and Yi Yu, “Flexural Strength of RC Beams with GFRP Laminates”, Journal of composites for construction, ASCE Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 497-506 (2007)
- Kaushal Parikh and C.D.Modhera, “Application of GFRP on preloaded retrofitted beam for enhancement in flexural strength, International Journal of Civil and Structural Engineering", Volume 2, No 4, 2012, ISSN 0976 – 4399, pp 1070-80 (2012).
- Almusallam T.H., Y.A. Al-Salloum,” Flexure Strengthening of RC Beams Using Glass FRP Sheets”, Pertanika Journal of Science and Technology, University Putra Malaysia (UPM), Vol. 13, No. 1, pp 1-15 (2005)
- P. Parandaman, M. Jayaraman, “Finite Element Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Beam Retrofitted with Different Fiber Composites”, Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research 22 (7), ISSN 1990-9233, pp 948-953 (2014)
- IS 12269: 1999, “Specification for 53grade ordinary Portland cement”, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India
- IS 383: 1970 “Specifications for Coarse and Fine Aggregates from Natural Sources for Concrete”, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India
- S 10262:2009 “Concrete Mix ProportioningGuidelines”, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India
- IS 516: 1959 “Methods of Tests for strength of concrete”, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India