Author : Akash R. Modi 1
Date of Publication :25th January 2018
Abstract: Corrosion of steel rebar in exposed reinforced concrete (RC) structures located in the marine environment is one of the major problems in the construction industry. Corrosion can be described as the deterioration of a metal that results from an electrochemical or chemical reaction to its surrounding environment. The magnitude of reinforcement corrosion has a significant effect on flexural strength, deformational behavior, ductility, bond strength and mode of failure of the reinforced-concrete structures. Hence, from past two decades, researchers have developed various techniques which can be used for controlling corrosion of RC structures. Due to the cost associated with conventional techniques and some environmental issues related to them, the researchers started developing new cost-effective, environmentally friendly corrosion controlling technique. Corrosion effect can be minimized by providing proper cover or plastering with cement mortar, so that percolation of atmospheric agents can be minimized. Hence the use of corrosion inhibitors is motivated in the construction industry. The present paper reviews various types of admixtures which can be effectively used as the corrosion inhibitor for corrosion control of steel reinforced in concrete. The paper majorly focuses on the use of green materials such as coconut shell ash (CSA), tamarinds pulp husk extract (TPHE) as a corrosion inhibitor in concrete.
- Mualla I. and Belev B., “Performance of Steel Frames with a New Friction Damper Device under Earthquake Excitation”, Engineering Structures, Volume-24, Issue-3, March 2002
- He W. L., Agrawal A. K. and Yang J. N.,” Novel Semiactive Friction Controller for Linear Structures against Earthquakes” Journal Of Structural Engineering, (ASCE) ISSN 0733-9445 129:7 (941), July 2003
- Bhaskararao A.V. and Jangid R.S., “Seismic Analysis of Structures Connected with Friction Dampers”, 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering Vancouver, Canada, Paper No. 3143 August 1-6, 2004
- Symans, M.D., Charney F. A., Whittaker A. S., Constantinou M. C., Kircher C.A., Johnson M. W. and McNamara R. J., “Energy Dissipation Systems for Seismic Applications:Current Practice and Recent Developments”, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, ISSN 0733-9445, January 2008
- Zhu S. and Zhang Y., “Seismic Analysis of Concentrically Braced Frame Systems with SelfCentering Friction Damping Braces”, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, ISSN 0733-9445, January 2008
- You-Lin XU and C.L. Ng, “Seismic Protection of a Building Complex Using Friciton Damper: Experimental Investigation” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Volume-134, Issue-8, August 2008
- Morgen B. G. and Kurama Y.C., “Seismic Response Evaluation of Posttensioned Precast
- Concrete Frames with Friction Dampers”, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, ISSN 0733- 9445, January 2008
- Pall, A. S., and Marsh, C. (1982). “Seismic response of friction damped braced frames.” J. Struct. Div., 108(6), 1313–1323.
- Pall, A. S., "Response of Friction Damped Buildings", Proceedings of the Eighth World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, San Francisco, Vol. V, 1984.
- Victor Correia de Oliveira Pereira, Eliana Cristina Barreto Monteiro and Kalline da Silva Almeida, “Influence of cement type in reinforcement corrosion of mortars under action of chlorides,” Construction and Building Materials vol. 40, pp. 710–718, March 2013.
- T.A.Soylev, M.G. Richardson, “Corrosion inhibitors for steel in concrete: state of the art report,” Construction and Building Materials vol.22, pp. 609–622, (2008).
- D.D.L. Chung, “Corrosion control of steelreinforced concrete,” ASM International, Journal of material engineering and performances, vol.9 (5), pp.585-588, Oct.2000.
- Zhang B., “Synergistic corrosion inhibition of environment-friendly inhibitors on the corrosion of carbon steel in soft water,” Corrosion Science vol.94, pp.6–20, 2015.
- Norinsan Kamil Othman, Denni Asra Awizar and Zulhusni Dasuki, “Nano silicate from paddy waste as natural corrosion inhibitor,” Technology and medicine, chapter 4, pp.48-66.Jan.2017
- S.Carmel Jawahar, S.Palanivel Raja, Ramya Vincent Lopez, “Corrosion control using green material,” Advances in Materials and Corrosion vol.3,pp.9- 16,Jan 2014.
- Mohammed maslehuddin, huseyin saricimen, and abdulaziz i. Al-mana, “Effect of fly ash addition on the corrosion resisting characteristics of concrete,” ACI materials journal, vol.84, pp.42-50, feb.1987.
- T.sankaralingan, “fly ash for cement concrete,” NTPC limited. pp.1-48, May 2013
- Utsev, J. T., Taku, J. K.,”Coconut Shell Ash as Partial Replacement of Ordinary Portland Cement in Concrete Production” international journal of scientific & technology research volume 1, issue 8, september 2012.
- N.A.Rustun, Emery Industries Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio-m. “Commercial uses of Fatty acids”, The Journal of the American oil chemist’s society, pp495-496, November 1992.