Author : Kunal Chikane 1
Date of Publication :25th January 2018
Abstract: Aqueduct is a watercourse constructed to convey water over an obstacle, such as natural streams, valley etc. In modern days, the aqueduct is also used for any system of pipe, ditches, canal, tunnels, and bridges which is used as an artificial watercourse. If the structure is constructed in the earthquake-prone area dynamic analysis of structure is necessary. The structure is analyzed by considering pressure effects of fluid, but for special structure simple and yet accurate model for dynamic analysis is needed. To find out fairly accurate results, numerical modeling of water and dynamic analysis is necessary to perform. In this paper, seismic response analysis of a proposed aqueduct in the Pune seismic zone will be performed. Particular effort is devoted to finding a suitable numerical model that can accurately represent the proposed aqueduct design, water-structure interaction, and the effects of bearing properties of the aqueduct on its responses to seismic ground excitation. The result shows that using rigid bearing in the analysis can significantly reduce the aqueduct responses as compared to the bearing pads simulated by elastic link supported aqueduct.
- Wenyi Chen and Hong Hao “Dynamic Response Analysis of Large Aqueduct to Earthquake Ground Excitations” 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, August 1-6, 2004, Paper No. 1893.
- Yi Wu, Hai Hong Mo, Chun Yang, “Study on dynamic performance of a three-dimensional high frame supported U-shaped aqueduct” Engineering structures, volume 28, Issue 3, February 2006, Pages 372-380.
- E. Ercan and A. Nuhoglu, “Identification of Historical Veziragasi Aqueduct Using the Operational Modal Analysis” The Scientific World Journal, Volume 2014, 2014, Article ID 518608, 8 pages.
- Bo Wang, Qingbin Li, “Beam segment element for dynamic analysis of large aqueduct” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, volume 39, 2003, Page No. 1249–1258.
- Bhavana Valeti, Samit Raychaudhuri & Prishati Raychaudhury, “Seismic response of an elevated aqueduct considering hydrodynamic and soilstructure interactions” International Journal of Advanced Structural Engineering (IJASE), Volume 8, Issue 1, March 2016, Page No. 53-73
- N. C. Singhal, “Seismic analysis of an Aqueduct founded on piles” 11th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, ISBN 0080428223, 1996, Paper No. 350.
- G. W. Housner, IIEarthquake Pressures on Fluid Containers", Eight Technical Report, ONR Contract N6 onr-Z44, Task Order 25, California. Institute of Technology, Pasadena (1954).