Author : Chaitali Isal 1
Date of Publication :24th January 2018
Abstract: In civil engineering construction projects, the cost of material can vary from 50-60% of the total project cost. It is important to manage productivity, cost and effective material procurement. An essential factor affecting the performance of construction projects are improper material procurement and supplier selection which have a great impact on the quality as well as the profitability of the contractor. The purpose of this study is to find an increase in the cost due to improper material procurement and selection of suppliers. This study also suggests the better methodology for selection of suppliers and material procurement by generating strategies to improve, especially in residential building projects. For faster and proper supplier selection computer program was developed in C++ which will reduce the overall time of the project. The methodology applied was a collection of data in terms of planned and executed quantities for individual activities. The difference in procured material and actually executed materials was calculated to find the extra material procured. It was observed that sudden shortage of material from primary selected suppliers caused immediate call for material from other suppliers which increased the overall cost of the project. Overall increased cost was 13,48,882 for the period of 12 months of study and cost analysis observed 1.5% hike on the total cost of material for this project
- Avinash Shukla, Dr Mohd Afaq Khan and Dr Mrinalini Shah, “Literature Review Of Adoption Of E Procurement Practices By Construction Industries”, AIMA Journal of Management & Research, vol.10, no.2/4, pp. 1-25, 2016.
- Engr. Anwar Zeb, Engr. Sohail Malik, Dr. Shazia Nauman, Engr. Hashim Hanif and Engr Muhammad Osama Shahbaz Amin, “Factors Affecting Material Procurement, Supply and Management in Building Projects of Pakistan: A Contractor’s Perspective”, Proceedings of 2015 International Conference on Innovations in Civil and Structural Engineering, pp. 170-175, 2015.
- Ar. S. Kamalaeaswari, Ar. B. Vedhajanani, “Process Analysis of Material Procurement in Commercial Buildings and Recommendation”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1106-1010, 2015.
- Hemanta Doloi, Anil Sawhney, K.C. Iyer, Sameer Rentala, “Analysing factors affecting delays in Indian construction projects”, International Journal of Project Management, vol. 30, no.1, pp 479-489, 2012.
- Muriro, A and Wood, GD , “A comparative analysis of procurement methods used on competitively tendered office projects in the UK”, The Construction, Building and Real Estate Research Conference of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, pp 1-16, 2010.
- G.T.N. Veerendra, Ch. Durga Prasad, A.Girish Baburao, “Procurement-principle towards effective management of construction projects”, International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp 624-629, 2014.
- Natasa Turina, Malden Radujokvic,Diana Car, "Design And Build" In Comparison With The Traditional Procurement Method And The Possibility Of Its Application In The Croatian Construction Industry”, 8th International Conference: Organization, Technology and Management in Construction , pp 1-8, 2008.