Author : Aniket A. Chole 1
Date of Publication :24th January 2018
Abstract: This paper describes the advantages and disadvantages of arch bridges. To overcome the drawbacks of conventional arch bridges, a new innovative segmental flexible concrete arch bridge are developed by Queens University Belfast with the help of Macrete Ireland Ltd. The study is aimed at introducing this new type of arch bridge. Various advantages of flexi arch over other arch bridges are explained. Different construction methodologies of the flexible arch are studied. Installation of Flexiarch plays an important role in the construction of the bridge. These installation procedures are briefly explained with the help of figures. For a segmental arch bridge, shape and size of voussoirs are very crucial as the number of voussoirs is connected to each other to form an arch. Paper describes the calculation of geometrical properties of an arch from span and rise of the bridge. The study explains the necessity and reliability of this new bridge over conventional bridges and an attempt are made to justify the use of Flexiarch bridge in today’s scenario.
- J. Bourke, S. Taylor, D. Robinson, and A. Long, “Analysis of Flexible Concrete Arch,” 6th International Conference on Arch Bridges, Fuzhou, China, pp. 134-139, 2010.
- S. E. Taylor, A. Gupta, J. Kirkpatrick, A. Long, and I. Hogg, “Production of a Novel Flexible Concrete Arch,” Third Symposium on Bridge and Infrastructure Research in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland, pp. 1-8, 2006.
- M. Lydon, S. E. Taylor, V. Sivakumar, D. Robinson and D. Hughes, “Monitoring of a Novel Flexiarch Bridge System to Investigate Soil Structure Interaction,” 5th International Conference on Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure (SHMII-5), Cancun, Mexico, pp. 1- 9, 2011.
- P. McNulty, S. Taylor, D. Robinson and A. Long, “Behaviour of a Novel Skew Flexiarch Bridge System,” Conference on Bridge and Concrete Research in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland, pp. 1-8, 2012.P. McNulty, “Behaviour and Analysis of Novel Skew Flexible Concrete Arch Bridge System,” Ph. D. Thesis, Queens University Belfast, UK, 2014.
- J. Bourke, S. Taylor, D. Robinson and A. Long, “Modelling of Solid and Hollow Voussoir Flexiarch Systems,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, vol. BE1, ICE, pp. 61-73, 2013.
- Long, D. McPolin, J. Kirkpatrick, A. Gupta and D. Courtenay, “Flexiarch: From Concept to Practical Applications,” Structural Engineer, vol. 92(7), pp. 10-15, 2014.
- Long, S. Nanukuttan, D. Mcpolin, A. Gupta and D. Robb, “Flexiarch System : Renaissance of Arch Culture,” 8th International conference on Arch Bridges, (ARCH 2016), Wroclaw, Poland, pp. 561- 570, 2016.