Author : T.J.Nikose 1
Date of Publication :24th January 2018
Abstract: Wind engineering is an up growing field in structural engineering. It is necessary for us to study it especially for Tall buildings that are prone to wind-induced oscillations. In the recent times, there have been so many catastrophic damages caused by high wind speeds especially in the United States and in the coastal regions of India. This proves that many buildings that are currently in use may not fully wind resistant. The Indian code of practice for wind load on buildings and structures (IS-875 Part-3 1987) included a procedure to determine along wind response of tall structures, while the across wind response and interference effect is not included in the same code. The present Indian specification ie IS 875 (Part -3):2015 included the specification for determining the along as well as across wind response. IS 875 (Part -3): 2015 included a mathematical expression for different parameters such as terrain factor, background factor, upwind velocity fluctuation etc. This paper includes a comparison of IS 875 (Part-3):1987, IS 875 (Part-3):2015 and AS/NZS:1170 (Part 2):2011 for dynamic wind response of tall buildings/structures. The comparison is validated by analyzing tall building for all-terrain categories as per earlier & previous version of Indian specification and with Australian codal provision for wind loading.
- AS/NZS: 1170(Part – 2) – 2011 “Structural Design Actions, Part 2: Wind Loads.
- Davenport, 1967, Gust loading factors., J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 93(3), 11-34.
- Hajra Bodhisatta, P.N Godbole,2004, “Along wind load on Tall Buildings-Indian codal provisions”, Proceedings of the third national conference (NCWE-2004), Jadhavpur University, Kolkata, India.(2005)
- IS: 875(Part-3)-1987 “Code of Practice for design loads (other than earthquake) for Buildings and Structures”, Bureau of Indian Standards, Manak Bhawan, New Delhi.
- IS: 875(Part-3)-2015 “Code of Practice for design loads (other than earthquake) for Buildings and Structures”, Bureau of Indian Standards, Manak Bhawan, New Delhi.
- Nikose Trupti, Sonparote R.S., 2016, “Codal Comparison of IS 875 (Part -3):1987 & IS 875 (Part - 3):2015 for Dynamic Wind Response of Tall Buildings” International Conference on Recent Trends in Engineering and Material Sciences, 17-19 March 2016, Jaipur National University, Jaipur.