Author : Sivaramapandian J 1
Date of Publication :21st December 2017
Abstract: Automotive chassis frame is most crucial element that gives strength, stability and is the structural backbone of any vehicle whose role to provide skeletal frame to which the body of an engine, axle assemblies are affixed. The chassis frame must be rigid enough to withstand the stresses, shocks and deformation occurring and its main function is to carry the maximum load for all designed operating conditions with safety in mind. Considering the fact that in India commercial vehicles carry non-uniform loads, that leads to the failure possibilities in the chassis frame. An important consideration in chassis design is to have adequate bending stiffness along with strength for better handling characteristics. Therefore, maximum shear stress, stiffness and deflection are important criteria for the chassis design. After a careful analysis of various research studies conducted so for it has been found that sufficient studies have not been conducted on variable section chassis concept. This paper emphasises on design modification in the Section of a frame and comparison of structural analysis of those sections and conventional type frame for higher strength. In this research work, we authors have adopted the dimensions of an existing heavy vehicle frame for conceptual structural changes through modelling and analysis with the help of ANSYS software.
- Cicek Karao, A Journal on analysis of a chassis frame with joints was performed by using software.
- H J Beermann, English translation by Guy Tidbury, The Analysis of Commercial Vehicle Structures, Verlag TUV Rheinland GmbH Koln-1989.
- Hemant B. Patil, Sharad D. Kachave – Stress Analysis of Automotive Chassis with various Thichness, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and civi Engineering (IOSR-JMCE), Vol. 6, Issue 1 (March-April.2013), PP 44-49.
- K.W. Poh, P.H. Dayawansa, A.W. Dickerson, I.R. Thomas, Steel membrane floors for bodies of large reardump mining trucks, Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 32, (1999), 141-161.
- M. Ravi Chandra, S. Sreenivasulu & Syed Altaf Hussain, "Modeling and Structural Analysis of Heavy Vehicle Chassis Made of Polymeric Composite Material By Three Different Cross Sections", Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development (IJMPERD), ISSN 2249-6890, Vol.2, Issue 2, Sep 2012 45-60.
- Mohd Husaini bin Abd Wahab, "Stress Analysis of Truck Chassis", Project Report University Malaysia Pahang, 2009.
- N K Ingole, D.V. Bhope – Stress analysis of Tractor trailer chassis for self-weight reduction International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology (IJEST), ISSN: 0975-5462 Vol. 3 No.9 September 2011.
- N.V. Dhandapani, Dr. G Mohan Kumar, Dr K.K. Debnath, Static Analysis of Off-High Way Vehicle Chassis supporting Structure for the effect of various Stress distributions IJART, Vol.2 Issue 1, 2012, 1-8.
- Vijaykumar V. Patel, "Structural analysis of a ladder chassis frame," World Journal of Science and Technology 2012, 2(4)05-08.