Author : K B Kommula 1
Date of Publication :22nd March 2018
Abstract: India is a country with a rich cultural heritage. The historical heritage dates back to centuries from primitive times. The notion of preservation of cultural heritage has been exercised for several years. With the advancement of digital technology, it has opened a new avenue for preserving the cultural heritage of a nation. Due to natural or man-made disasters, we see a loss of many historic buildings which are to be passed on to future generations. The digitization of these historical objects is very important to store these and prevent them from getting extinct. The digital preservation of various visual arts like paintings, sculptures, and ancient architectural buildings is the key technology till date to preserve the culture of a nation. This paper shows various methods of storing the historic objects by using scanners through the concept of reverse engineering. Using reverse engineering the shortcomings in the documentation can be improved. The work is concerned with preserving the cultural heritage by making the digital copy of the object and to reuse the data, when needed. When there is a need of a particular model of the past they can be revived without any loss in their heritage. The main objective of this paper is to show how to use reverse engineering method to digitalize the characteristics of the old artifacts which are considered national treasure.
- BAJIC, D[razen], CELENT, L[uka]& JOZIC, S[onja].(2011). Reverese Engineering Application in Preservation of Cultural Heritage.
- Anderson, S. Curless, B. Davis, J.Fulk, D. Ginesberg, M. Levoy,M. Koller,D. Pereira,L.Pulli, K.Rusinkiewicz, S. Shade, J.(2000). The Digital Michelangelo Project 3d Scanning of Large Statues.Proc.siggraph .
- Chen, Y.H. Ng, C. T.(1997). Integrated Reverse Engineering and Rapid Prototyping, Computers & Industrial engineering.
- Cosma, C. Dume, A. Tulcan, A. Iclanzan, T. (25-28th November 2009). Rapid Development of Products using the Technique of Reverse Engineering, Annals of Daaam for 2009 & Proceedings of the 20th International Daaam Symposium.
- Fassi, F. Fregonese, L. Brumana, R. Monti, C. Achilee, C. cassani, C. Vio, E. (06-October 2007), Anthens ,Greece(2007). High Density Digital form for Cultural Heritage , Synthetic Modeling and Reverse Engineering of the Four Horses of the Basilica of San marco in venice ,xxi international cipa symposium.
- Hong-Tzong, Y.(1997). Reverse Engineering of the Engine Intake ports by Digitization and Surface Approximation , International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture , Elsevier Science ltd.
- Rypl,D. Bittnar, Z.(2006). Generation of Computational Surface Meshes of stl Models, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics.
- Sokovic, M. Kopac, J.(2006). R.E(reverse engineering) as Necessary Phase by Rapid Product Development, Jounnal of Materials Processing Technology.
- Szilvasi - Nagy, M. & Matyasi, Gy, (2003). Analysis of STL files, Mathematical and Computer Modeling.
- Colin Bradley and Bernadette Currie(2005). Advances in the field of Reverse Engineering.
- C. Vilbrandt, G. Pasko, A. Pasko, P- A. Fayolle , T. Vibrandt, J. R. Goodwin, J.M. Goodwin and T.L. Kunii(2003). Cultural Heritage