Author : Davinder Kumar 1
Date of Publication :22nd February 2018
Abstract: This research deals with finite element based simulation of a functionally graded adhesively bonded tubular joint under combined axial and torsional loading. The tubes are made of Gr/E (T300/934) laminated FRP composites. The research carried out in past indicate high-stress concentration at both ends of overlap. By employing a modulus graded adhesive along the bond line the stress concentration at the ends of overlap can be reduced. This will result in significant increase in strength and lifespan of the adhesively bonded joint. The material gradation of the adhesive along the bond line is achieved by suitable smooth and continuous function profiles with varied modulus ratios. The out-of-plane shear stress and peel stress values have been calculated along the interfacial surfaces of the bond line of the tubular joint. Failure indices have been calculated by using Tsai-Wu coupled stress criterion to predict the failures onset location The critical location has been identified to be between the outer tube and adhesive layer near the loaded end. Results show the significant reduction in the value of failure index at the critical location thus increasing the joint strength and delayed failure onset location with functionally graded adhesive.
- M Goland, E Reissner, “The stresses in cemented joints,” ASME Trans, Journal of applied MechanicS, vol. 11, 17–27, 1944.
- L. J. Hart-Smith, “Adhesive-bonded double lap joints.” NASA-CR–112235, 1973
- R. D. Adams RD and N. A. Peppiatt, “Stress analysis of adhesive bonded tubular lap joints,” Journal of Adhesion, vol. 9, pp. 1-18, 1977
- S. W. Tsai, E. M. Wu, “A general theory of strength for anisotropic materials, “Journal of Composite Materials, vol.5, p.p. 58-80, 1971.
- Chon CT, “Analysis of tubular joint in torsion.” The Journal of composite Material, vol. 16, 268-311, 1986.
- M. K. Apalak, “Elastic stresses in an adhesively bonded functionally graded tubular single-lap joint in tension,” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol. 20, pp.1019-1046, 2006.
- M. K. Apalak, ”Stress analysis of an adhesively bonded functionally graded tubular single lap joint subjected to an internal pressure,” Science and Engineering of Composite Materials, vol. 13, pp. 183-211,2006.
- S. Kumar, “Analysis of Tubular Adhesive Joints with a functionally modulus graded bond line subjected to axial loads,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives,vol. 29, pp. 785-795, 2009.
- S. Kumar and J. P. Scanlan: Stress analysis of shaft-tube bonded joints using a variational method, Journal of Adhesion, vol. 86, pp. 369-394, 2010.
- R. Raghava, R. M. Caddel, “The macroscopic yield behavior of polymers, “Journal of Materials Science, vol. 8, p.p. 225-232,1973.
- S.V. Nimje, S.K. Panigrahi. “Effects of functionally graded adhesive on failures of socket joint of laminated FRP composite tubes,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, vol. 48, 139–149, 2014.
- K.S. Ravi Chandran, I. Barsoum, “Determination of stress intensity factor solutions for cracks in finite-width functionally graded materials, “International Journal of Fracture, vol.121, 183–203, 2003.