Author : Sameer Chandwadkar 1
Date of Publication :22nd February 2018
Abstract: With urbanization and increasing unbalance of the required area to availability, it is important to provide an open ground storey in both types of buildings that are commercial and residential. These open storey’s without brick infill reduce the stiffness of the load carrying member and progressive increase in load exhibit higher stresses in the load carrying member and these members i.e. columns fail as the plastic hinges are not formed on predefined positions. Therefore, the collapse of this soft storey during an earthquake has caused structural engineer store think the design of a soft storey. This paper focuses on performance and evaluation of 13 storey RC building with and without a soft storey at the different level. In this Paper 4 buildings out of which one is irregular, in elevation, 3irregular buildings with the Soft storey at the different level and in elevation. Three methods of analysis namely Linear Static Analysis (equivalent Lateral load method), Response Spectrum analysis and Nonlinear Static analysis (Pushover analysis) has been used. After the analysis results are evaluated for each model and results are compared. The Description of Geometry and procedure carried out in ETABS for each model.
- SEISMIC RESPONSE OF VERTICALLY IRREGULAR STRUCTURES (Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 110, No. 9, September, 1984) - Jack P. Moehle
- SEISMIC ANALYSIS METHODS FOR IRREGULAR BUILDINGS (Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 112, No.1, January, 1986)
- Influence of vertical irregularity on seismic response of building (Ninth world conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vol V, Aug 1988) - Anibal G. Costa, Carlos and Ricarda T Duarte
- Seismic Response of Building Frames With Vertical StructuraIrregularities(Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol.123, No. I, January, 1997)- Eggert V. Valmundsson and James M. Nau
- J. N. Arlekar, S. K. Jain and C.V.R. Murty, “Seismic Response of RC Frame Buildings with Soft First Storeys,” Dept. of Civil Engineering, IIT Kanpur, India. (CBRI) 1997.