Author : Bhargav Manek 1
Date of Publication :22nd February 2018
Abstract: Energy is the vital requirement for any industry and due to more industrialization; its demand is increasing highly. Coal is one of the major fuel sources for power and process heating. Direct combustion of coal is one of the main reasons of pollution. Coal gasification is a Non-Conventional technology to produce heat in an economical way by generating a product of carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas called synthesis gas. In the present study, numerical simulation of updraft gasifier with coal as a fuel has been performed. The Euler-Lagrange approach is used to describe gasification process. The present numerical study is carried out based on the gasifier used for industrial purposes manufactured by Radhe Renewable Energy Pvt. Ltd. situated in Rajkot, Gujarat. ANSYS Fluent V 17.2 has been used for the CFD simulations. The operating parameters for the present simulation were taken from ceramic industry situated in Morbi, Gujarat. Validation of numerical work was done with experimental data that shows good agreement. Effect of equivalence ratio (E.R.) is studied on the output syngas. Results show that industry is working with E.R. value 0.295 and optimized E.R. value is 0.32 in the present study. By increasing E.R. value we found that syngas component fraction is decreasing.
- Energy Research and Survey (2012).
- Pettinau A., Ferrara F., Amorino C.:Techno-economic comparison between different technologies for a CCS power generation plant integrated with a subbituminous coal mine in Italy. Applied Energy(99), 9-32 (2012)
- C. Higman and M. J. van der Burgt: Gasification, 2nd Edition, Gulf Publishing Press(2007).  Wei-Hsin Chen, Chih-Jung Chen, Chen-I Hung, ChengHsien Shen and Heng-Wen Hsu.: A comparison of gasification phenomena among raw biomass, torrefied biomass and coal in an entrained-flow reactor, Applied Energy(112), 421–430( 2013)
- P.C. Murugan and S. Joseph Sekhar.: Species – Transport CFD model for the gasification of rice husk (Oryza Sativa) using downdraft gasifier, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture(139), 33–4( 2017)
- Niranjan Fernando and Mahinsasa Narayana: A comprehensive two dimensional Computational Fluid Dynamics model for an updraft biomass gasifier, Renewable Energy(99), 698-710(2016)
- Hyo Jae Jeong, Dong Kyun Seo and Jungho Hwang: CFD modeling for coal size effect on coal gasification in a two-stage commercial entrained-bed gasifier with an improved char gasification model, Applied Energy(123), 29–36(2014)
- Alina Zogała and Tomasz Janoszek: CFD simulations of influence of steam in gasification agent on parameters of UCG process, Journal of sustainable mining(14), 2- 11(2015).
- S. Murgia, M. Vascellari, G. Cau: Comprehensive CFD model of an air-blown coal-fired updraft gasifier, Fuel(101), 129–138(2012).
- ANSYS Inc. ANSYS FLUENT User’s Guide, Release 6.3; ANSYS Inc.: Canonsburg, PA, USA, 2011.