Author : Altaf Husain 1
Date of Publication :18th April 2018
Abstract: In present scenario, multi-storey buildings in urban cities are designed with various levels of irregularities in accordance with shortage of space, population and also for aesthetic and functional requirements. Irregular structures come into existence due to Plan and vertical irregularities. Criteria and limits specified for these irregularities as defined by codes of practice (IS1893 (Part- 1):2016) have been discussed briefly. One of the vertical irregularities is due to discontinuity of columns. In the present study, effects of the structural irregularity which is produced by the discontinuity of a columns such as floating column, setback column e.t.c in RC frames subjected to seismic loads was investigated. The effect of earthquake forces on various building models for various parameters is proposed to be carried out with the help of Nonlinear Time History analysis methods. Models of the frame are developed by using ETABS softwarefor G+9 multi-storey RC buildings with and without discontinuity in columnsto carry out comparative study of structural parameters such as storey drift, storey shear andlateral stiffnessunder seismic excitation.Furtherfrom the study, it was concluded that building with discontinuity in column performed poorly under seismic excitation as various structural parameter exceed limit value describe by code at some specific point of time.
- A Textbook on “Earthquake Resistant design of Structures” by Pankaj Agarwal and Manish Shrikhande.
- BIS (2002). “IS 1893 (Part 1)-2002: Indian Standard Criteria for Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures, Part 1 – General Provisions and Buildings (Fifth Revision)”, Bureau of Indian Standards,New Delhi.
- Chintanapakdee, C. and Chopra, A.K. (2004). Seismic response of vertically irregular frames: Response history and modal pushover analyses, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 130, 8, 1177-1185.
- IITK-BMTPC -Earthquake tips
- IshaRohilla, S.M.Gupta, BabitaSaini, ”Seismic Response Of Multi-storey Irregular Building With Floating Column”. IJRET,Vol.04, Issue: 03, Mar2015