Author : Saurabh DuttDiwaker 1
Date of Publication :18th April 2018
Abstract: Earthquakes are one of nature’s greatest hazard, Earthquakes are usually caused when rock underground suddenly breaks along a fault. This sudden release of energy causes the seismic waves that make the ground shake. Throughout historic time they have caused significant loss of life and severe damage to property, especially to man-made structures. Seismic isolation may be used to provide an effective solution for a wide range of seismic design problems. Seismic isolation of structures from ground is a modern technique that has gained popularity and is rapidly evolving. In this paper the effect of base isolation on a structure has been studied by comparing the responses of the base isolated structure and fixed base structure. The paper presents comparative study of performance of base isolators namely Lead Rubber Bearing (LRB) and Friction Pendulum Bearing(FPB). For this study R.C building is considered and Time History analysis is carried out using ETABS software. Parameters like Building displacement and storey drift are compared for the building with base isolator and building with fixed base. Due to the presence of isolator parameters are significantly reduced in each direction (X and Y direction) as compared to fixed base building.
- Young-Sang Kim- Study on the Effective Stiffness of Base Isolation System for Reducing Acceleration and Displacement Responses, Journal of the Korean Nuclear society, Volume 31, Number 6, pp.586-594, December 1999.
- TIAN Xue Min and LU Ming -Design of BaseIsolated Structure with Rubber-Bearing The 14thWorld Conference on Earthquake Engineering October 12-17, 2008, Beijing, China
- Jose L.Almazan,s, juan c. De la llera,t and jose a. Inaudimodelling aspects of structures isolated with the frictional pendulum system, earthquake engineering and structural dynamics earthquake engg. Struct. Dyn. 27, 845-867 (1998).
- C.S.Tsai, Tsu-Cheng Chiang, Bo-Jen ChenExperimentalStudy for Multiple Friction Pendulum System, 13th WorldConference on Earthquake Engineering Vancouver, B.C.,Canada, Paper No. 669 August 1-6, 2004.
- NikolayKravchuk, Ryan Colquhoun, and Ali Porbaha-Development of a Friction Pendulum Bearing Base IsolationSystem for Earthquake Engineering Education, , AmericanSociety for Engineering Education, Proceedings of the2008 American Society for Engineering Education PacificSouthwest Annual Conference Copyright © 2008.
- Luis Andrade and John Tuxworth-, Senior StructuralEngineer, Green Leaf Engineers Director, Green LeafEngineers, Concrete Solutions 09, Paper 7a-3.