Author : Kajal Bhardwaj 1
Date of Publication :18th April 2018
Abstract: Concrete is the most versatile and important building material. The main concern in today’s era is that its manufacturing as well as overuse in the construction sector makes our environment polluted. Since we know that when cement reacts with water it exhibits cement hydration reaction which is generally exothermic in nature and has other repercussions also.. The major drawback of using excess cement is its manufacturing as it is very hazardous and evolves the green house gas carbon dioxide which is very toxic in nature. To overcome these problems, the use of Supplementary Cementing Material like metakaolin, rice husk ash, blast furnance slag, Fly ash and silica fume are some pozzolanic materials which itself doesn’t contribute anything as these are probably the waste product but when get merged with cement shows excellent bond strength and makes concrete less permeable. It also makes the concrete eco friendly and more economical. Experimental investigation has been carried out at M-25 grade. Fibres also enhances the fresh and hardened properties of concrete. It provides protection against micro cracks and makes the overall matrix strong by reducing cracks. This paper deals with the fresh and hardened properties of concrete with partial substitution of binding material known as cement by metakaolin and incorporation of polypropylene fiber at constant 0.3% by mass of cement. The concrete mixes were prepared by replacing Ordinary Portland Cement 43 with 0%, 5%, 10%, 15% and 20% of metakaolin and by adding polypropylene fiber at 0.3% by mass of cement. The test results will taken for Compressive, Split Tensile Strength and Flexural Strength and it would be observe that metakaolin as a binder will react with cement at early stage because of its fine particle size will make the concrete less permeable and addition of polypropylene fiber also fills the micro cracks then the desired results will achieved. Cubes, Cylinders and Beams will be casted for 7, 14 and 28 days .Superplasticizer will also be used as the both metakaolin and polypropylene fiber will make the concrete unworkable. In order to maintain the workability critera the dosage is fixed at 0.2%. The overall results shows this combination will provide us excellent results.
- 1M.B.Kumthekar,G.S.Vyas,N.T.Suryawanshi and M.B. More, (July 2007) “Techno-Economical Benefit of Metakaolin Over Microsilica in Developing Concrete”, CE&CR, 42-50.
- Zongjin Li, Yunsheng Zhang, Handbook of structural Engineering, 15 (CRC Press, 2005) 1-58 .
- K Anbuvelan, MMH Khadar, M Lakshmipathy and K S Sathyanarayanan,“Studies on properties of concretes containing polypropylene, steel and reengineered plastic shred fibre”ICJ,81, 2007, pp38- 44.
- S R R Senthil kumar and S C Natesan,“Effect of polypropylene fibre addition on restrained plastic shrinkage cracking of cement composites”IE (I) J. CV,85, 2003, pp100-106.
- G AKhoury, “Polypropylene fibres in heated concrete. Part 2: Pressur
- G M Barrera, F U Nunez, O Gencel and WBrostow, “Mechanical properties of polypropylene fiber reinforced concrete after gamma irradiation” Composites, 42, 2011, pp 567-572.