Author : Patthi Hussain 1
Date of Publication :25th April 2018
Abstract: Gas Nitriding on Ferritic Stainless steels AISI 430 carried was out at 600 , for various period of nitriding process which were for 2 h, 8 h and 24 h. The effect of nitriding process period in term of microstructure, overall micro hardness, cross section hardness and nitrogen diffusion rate were investigated. The microstructures of the samples were carried out using Optical Microscope (OM) and Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). The phase changes and Nitride precipitation formation were observed with respect to holding time of nitriding. Micro-analyses were also conducted on all samples using Energy Dispersive Spectroscope to investigate the effect of phase changes and it correlation toward the hardness of the materials. Unnitrided ferritic stainess steel was found having bigger grain size boundaries compare to nitride ferritic stainless steels. This is due to heat treatment during manufacturing process and concentration of nitrogen inside the steel. The size of grain boundaries reduces with nitriding time due to concertation of nitrogen inside the steels. The hardness value and concentration of nitrogen inside the steel reduce with the depth under the surface. The concentration of nitrogen in the steels increases with time of nitriding. Increasing in nitriding time increases the nitrogen composition inside the steel, thus reduce the grain size of the microstructure significantly and thus increase the hardness properties of the materials.
- Kenneth G. Bundinski, Michael K. Bundinski, Engineering Materials Properties and Selection 9th Ed, New Jersey: Pearson , 2010.
- J.M. Aquino, C.A. Della Revere, S.E. Kuri, "Intergraular corrosion susceptibility in supermartensitic stainless steel weldments," in Corrosion Science Volume 51, Sao Carlos Fereral University, Material Engineering Department, Rodovia Washinton Luis km 235. Sao Carlos, Sp, Brazil, Elsevier, 2009, pp. 2316 - 2332.
- "Stainless steels family. International Stainless steells forum.," [Online]. Available: http://www.worldstainless.org/Files/issf/non-imagefiles/PDF/TheStainlessSteelFamily.pdf. [Accessed 30 October 2014].
- A. M. Ltd, "Stainless steel 1.4016 Sheet and Plate," Aalco The UK's Largest independest multi-metals stockholder, [Online]. Available:http://http://www.aalco.co.uk/datasheets/Stainless-Steel-14016- Sheet-and-Plate_95.ashx. [Accessed 1 April 2015].
- D. Pye, "An Introduction to Nitriding," Practical Nitriding and Ferritic Nitrocarburizing (ASM International), no. ISBN: 978-0-87170-791-8, pp. 1-12, Desember 01, 2003.
- Nor Nurulhuda Md. Ibrahim, Patthi Hussain, Mokhtar Awang, "Microstructure and Hardness of High Temperature Gas Nitrided AISI 420 Martensitic Stainless Steel," in MATEC Web Conferences 13, 04017, Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Bandar Seri Iskandar, 31750 Tronoh, Perak, Malaysia, 2014.