Author : Samant Gaurish Mahabaleshwar 1
Date of Publication :25th April 2018
Abstract: A phrase heard often in recent years, advanced composite materials like Al/Al2O3 metal matrix composite is gradually becoming very important materials in industries due to their superior properties. The present study examines the mechanical properties of aluminum (LM6)/ Al2O3 reinforced particles metal-matrix composites (MMCs) by varying weight fractions of Al2O3. For this (LM6)/ Al2O3 reinforced particles MMCs are fabricated by stir casting method at air atmosphere . The MMCs are prepared in the form of bars with varying the reinforced particles by weight fraction ranging from 3 %, 5 % and 7 %. The reinforced particles size of Al2O3 is varying between 25-40 microns. The Mechanical properties like, Brinell Hardness, Rockwell hardness & Wear test are investigated on prepared specimens of MMCs. It was observed that the hardness of the composite is increased gradually from 5 % to 7%.
- E. Candan, H. Ahlatci, H. Ç¨ımeno˘glu Abrasive wear behaviour of Al–SiC composites produced by pressure infiltration technique. Wear 247 (2001) 133 – 138.
- Daniel B. Miracle and Steven L. Donaldson,‘Introduction to composites’, ASM Hand Book of Composite Materials,Volume21.
- K. R. Suresh, H. B. Niranjan, P. Martin Jebaraj M. P. Chowdiah, ‘Tensile and wear properties of aluminum composites’, Wear 255 (2003) 638 – 642
- Ashok Kr. Mishra, Rakesh Sheokand, R. K. Srivastava, ‘Tribological behaviour of Al- 6061/SiC metal matrix composite by Taguchi’s techniques”, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 2 (2012).
- D. Satishkumar, M. Kanthababu, V. Vajjiravelu, R. Anburaj, N. Thirumalai Sundarrajan, H. Arul, ‘Investigation of wire electrical discharge machinin characteristics 394 of Al6063/SiCp composites’, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 56 / 9-12 (2011) 975 - 986
- Manjunath C. Melgi and G. K. Purohit, ‘A Study of Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Silicon Carbide Metal Matrix Composites (MMC’s)’, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology 2 (2013).