Author : Saurabh DuttDiwaker 1
Date of Publication :17th May 2018
Abstract: This paper presents information on the design procedure of seismic base isolation systems. Analysis of the seismic responses of isolated structures, which is oriented to give a clear understanding of the effect of base isolation on the nature of the structure and discussion of various isolator types are involved in this work. The concept of Base isolation is to insert a flexible layer between foundation and superstructure thus decoupling the building from damaging action of ground motion. The paper presents comparative study of performance of base isolators namely Lead Rubber Bearing (LRB) and Friction Pendulum Bearing(FPB). For this study R.C building is considered and Time History analysis is carried out using ETABS software. Parameters like Story stiffness and Time period are compared for the building with base isolator and building with fixed base. Due to the presence of isolator parameters are changed in each direction (X and Y direction) as compared to fixed base building.
- BIS, IS 456:2000, plain and reinforced concrete code of practice “bureau of Indian standards, fourth revision
- BIS, IS 1893(PART 2):2002 Criteria for earthquake resistant design of structure part-IGeneral provision and buildings “Bureau of Indian Standard, V revision..
- S-875-1987,”Indian standard code of practice for structural safety loadings standards part-1.”bureau of Indian standard”.
- Anand etal” Structural control including soil structure interaction”.
- Jenifer Priyanaka etal(2006) “Dynamics of building soil structure interaction”. Bulletin of seismology.
- Whitman, etal (2011) “Design procedures for dynamically loaded foundations”.
- Young-Sang Kim- Study on the Effective Stiffness of Base Isolation System for Reducing Acceleration and Displacement Responses, Journal of the Korean Nuclear society, Volume 31, Number 6, pp.586-594, December 1999.
- TIAN Xue Min and LU Ming -Design of BaseIsolated Structure with Rubber-Bearing The 14thWorld Conference on Earthquake Engineering October 12-17, 2008, Beijing, China.
- Jose L.Almazan,s, juan c. De la llera,t and jose a. Inaudimodelling aspects of structures isolated with the frictional pendulum system, earthquake engineering and structural dynamics earthquake engg. Struct. Dyn. 27, 845-867 (1998).
- C.S.Tsai, Tsu-Cheng Chiang, Bo-Jen ChenExperimentalStudy for Multiple Friction Pendulum System, 13th WorldConference on Earthquake Engineering Vancouver, B.C.,Canada, Paper No. 669 August 1-6, 2004.
- NikolayKravchuk, Ryan Colquhoun, and Ali Porbaha-Development of a Friction Pendulum Bearing Base IsolationSystem for Earthquake Engineering Education, , AmericanSociety for Engineering Education, Proceedings of the2008 American Society for Engineering Education PacificSouthwest Annual Conference Copyright © 2008.
- Luis Andrade and John Tuxworth-, Senior StructuralEngineer, Green Leaf Engineers Director, Green LeafEngineers, Concrete Solutions 09, Paper 7a-3.