Author : Dattatraya B. Misal 1
Date of Publication :26th April 2018
Abstract: This work gives approach for performing stress analysis of an agitator of a large mixing vessel used in pulping process plant. The analysis is carried out to estimate stress and deflection in agitator body. The agitator is subjected to vibration due to multi-axial forces resulting from bending and torsional loading imposed by the mixing operation. The approach followed in this work involves Stress analysis of agitator blade for unit displacement using FE method. The work also discusses an alternative approach for estimating stress amplitude variation through dynamic stress analysis. Research work gives solution for developing the agitator with V shaped weldment which is made by using weldment techniques. Agitator looks V shaped from Front view and circular hub is designed to hold the structure of agitator. Project gives result and validation on the basis of software tool as well as mathematical tool. This proves the strength in designed agitator. Along with agitation process of pulping stirrer is also considered which is mounted on top of the agitator hub
- Kumar B. and Rajasekaran E., 2014, “Agitator and wiper design modification for milk khoamachine,” International Conference on Engineering Technology and Science-(ICETS’14)
- Aubin J. and Xuereb C., 2006, “Design of Multiple Impeller Stirred Tanks for the Mixing of Highly Viscous Fluids Using CFD,” Chem. Eng. Sci., 61, 2913-2920.
- Weetman R. J. and GigasB., 2012,“Mixer mechanical design- fluid forces,”Newyork.
- Asiri S., 2012, “Design and Implementation of Differential Agitators to Maximize Agitating Performance,” International Journal of Mechanics and Applications, 2(6): 98-112.
- Jirout T. and Rieger F., 2002,“Impeller design for mixing of suspensions,”Czech Technical University in Prague, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Process Engineering, Technická 4, 166 07 Prague 6, Czech Republic.
- Bakker A. and Fasano J. B., 1998, “The Flow Pattern in an Industrial Paper Pulp Chest with a Side Entering Impeller,”Published in The Online CFM Book.
- Tsui Y. Y. and Chou J. R., 2006,“Blade Angle Effects on the Flowing a Tank Agitated by thePitched-Blade Turbine”Department of Mechanical Engineering,NationalChiao Tung University,Hsinchu 300, Taiwan R. O. C.
- Portillo.P M., Ierapetritou M. G., Muzzio F. J., 2007, “Characterization of continuous convective powder mixing processes,”Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ 08854, United States.
- Kordas M., Masiuk S., Rakoczy R., 2012, “Comparison of Power Consumption for Mixing Process Using the new construction of mixer with the Reciprocating and rotating agitator,”14th European Conference on MixingWarszawa.
- Tsui1 Y. Y. and Yu-Chang Hu, 2008,“Mixing Flow Characteristics in a Vessel Agitated by the Screw Impeller With a Draught Tube,”Department of Mechanical Engineering,NationalChiao Tung University,Hsinchu 300, Taiwan.