Author : Edgar Vivek Mendonca 1
Date of Publication :21st June 2018
Abstract: The paper investigates the effects of strain-hardening in aluminium (6063) circular tubes undergoing plastic buckling due to axial compression under quasi-static and dynamic loads. Experimentation includes the study of change in modes of deformation behavior and buckling for sets of annealed and as received tubes. Systematic studies were conducted to determine the effects of strain-hardening and strain rate. Quasi-static tests were conducted on as received (VHN-75) and annealed (VHN-35) tubes to characterize the deformation pattern and load-deflection behaviour. On a set of annealed tubes interrupted loading tests were conducted on intermittently annealed specimens to observe the effects of strain hardening. All the quasi-static test cases have been repeated under dynamic loading conditions for different velocity ranges
- Dai-heng Chen, Crush Mechanics of Thin-Walled Tubes, Taylor & Francis Group, LLC, (2016).
- Callister’s Materials Science and Engineering, Second Edition, Wiley India Pvt Ltd, (2014)
- S.P. Timoshenko and R.M. Gere, Theory of Elastic Stability, second edition, McGraw-Hill, New York. (1961)
- T Y Reddy and E Zhang, Effect of strain Hardening on the behaviour of axially crushed cylindrical tubes, Advances in Engineering Plasticity and its Application, Elsevier Science Publishers B. V. pp 755 – 762, (1993).
- A. Otubushin, Detailed Validation of nonlinear finite element code using Dynamic axial crushing of a squareTube, Published by Elsevier Science Ltd. Int. J. Impact Engineering Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 349 – 368, (1998).
- S.R. Reid, Plastic Deformation Mechanism in Axially Compressed Metal tubes used as Impact energy absorbers, Int. J. Mech. Sci. Vol. 35, No. 12, pp. 1035 – 1052, (1993).
- Yucheng Liu, Study of Thin-Walled Box Beams Crushing Behaviour Using Ls-Dyna, 11th International LS-DYNA® Users Conference, Vol 13, pp 31 – 40.
- Anton Kuznetcov, Igor Telichev, Christine Q. Wu, Effect of Thin-Walled Tube Geometry on Its Crashworthiness Performance, 14th International LSDYNA Users Conference, Vol 1, pp 1 – 12.