Author : Pankaj Goswami 1
Date of Publication :19th July 2018
Abstract: Aerogel is a synthetic porous ultra-light material which is a solid with extremely low thermal conductivity, approximately 15 mW/m-K. Their low relative density (typically less than 5%) reduces conduction through the solid and their small pore size, typically less than one hundred nanometers, on the order of the mean free path of air, reduces conduction through the air as well as convection and radiation. On the other hand, Aramid fibers are a class of heat-resistant and strong synthetic fibers. Aramid honeycombs excel as ultra-lightweight material for structure reinforcement when good thermal and fire retardant are desired especially in case of building insulation. They are predominately used as a core in sandwiched structures to meet design requirements for highly stressed components. Aluminium honeycomb possesses the highest strength to weight ratio but due to its corrosive nature, it cannot be installed in the marine application and building insulation. Here we report on the hexagonal honeycomb structure of aramid fiber filled its core with silica aerogel to make it mechanical, corrosive as well as thermal resistant for building insulation or like other applications. The reported work has already done on the mechanical behavior of it here we will analyze its thermal behavior experimentally.
- K.Kantha Rao, K. Jayathirtha Rao, (August 2014 ) Heat Insulation Analysis of an Aluminum Honeycomb Sandwich Structure, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering ISSN 2321-6441 Volume 2, Issue 8.
- K.Kantha Rao, K. Jayathirtha Rao, Thermo structural Analysis Of Honeycomb Sandwich Panels, International Journal Of Engineering Science & Advanced Technology Volume-2, Issue-5, 1402 – 1409 ISSN: 2250–3676
- Lavinia GAVRILĂ, Paul ROŞU, (Oct 2008) Tensile Properties Analysis of Honeycomb Structures.
- Sunil C. Joshi , Development and evaluation of aerogelfilled BMI sandwich panels for thermal barrier applications, AIMS Materials Science, Volume 3, Issue 3, 938-953
- Chen, K., Mechanical and thermal performance of aerogel filled sandwich panels for building insulations, http://hdl.handle.net/1721.1/103944
- Mangesh M. Kakade, Investigation of Heat Insulation Performance of Aluminium Honeycomb Sandwich Panel With and Without Composite Material for Square and Hexagonal Shape with Different Thickness, International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET) Volume: 05 Issue: 02 (Feb 2018) e-ISSN: 2395-0056
- Matthias Rößler, Synthesis and characterization of aramidhoneycomb reinforced silica aerogel composite materials, RWTHaachen University, 24.10.2014